Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 29 March 2021

Spring Flowers in a Country Churchyard

 


Desperate to see some Spring flowers and wild flowers I've paid a visit to the local church of St Mary and St Bartholomew, Hampton in Arden.

The chancel of the church is Norman c1130 and the west tower Perpendicular.  The tower once had a spire but it collapsed in 1643.

The churchyard was fairly quiet although I did see a few other people walking through.




There were daffodils galore.

"Daffy Down Dilly has come up to town

In her Yellow Petticoat and her Green Gown."












The churchyard on the North side was covered in Lesser Celandines and Primroses just as I had hoped.

Lesser Celandine Ranuculus ficaria is one of the first wild flowers to appear in Spring flowering between March and May.  According to John Clare, the poet, children called them "Golden Daiseys".  Lesser Celandine is also known as Pilewort, Golden Guinea, Golden Stars, Star Flower, Bright Eye, Scurvywort and Butter and Cheese.  The flowers close when it rains and is cold only opening when the sun apppears.  In the Language of Flowers it represents "joys to come".  It was the favourite flower of the poet William Wordsworth who asked for it to be engraved on his gravestone but the stone mason got it wrong and William ended up with a Greater Celandine instead!



























I found just one Snakeshead Fritillary - a white one.





Daisy Bellis perennis 

Daisies are said to represent Mary's tears as when she was picking the flowers for the baby Jesus she pricked her finger and the pink tinge to the petals was caused by her blood.  Children for years have made daisy chains and it is the flower of the newborn in some areas where it is referred to as "bainwort" because legends suggested a daisy chain could stop fairies carrying away the baby.

The flowers close up at night and when it rains. Local names include "Billy Button" and "Hens and Chickens".





I found a few violets.  Violets represent humility and are also an emblem of constancy and steadfastness.  Romans used violets to make wine and a wreath composed of them cured a hangover!  Today crystallised petals are often used as cake decorations.





A type of pussy willow catkin.




Beds of Heather











Grape Hyacinths





Crocuses





Forsythia





Despite the sunshine and warmth and flowers I failed to see a single butterfly or bee!













Churchyard Angels










Interesting rain heads









Old Doors
























 





Green Man





15th century base of a cross - octagonal with quatrefoil panels.




I first looked round the church a few years ago and was surprised it was open. Of course at the moment it is locked but if you want to see inside the church (there is some lovely stained glass) please use this link St Mary and St Bartholomew



Opposite the church is the White Lion - a pub I've not been in. Closed at the moment but I noticed the wine merchants nearby was doing a roaring trade.




I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.


References:

"Discovering the Folklore of Plants" by Margaret Baker

"Britain's Wildflowers : A Treasury of Traditions, Superstitions, Remedies and Literature" by Rosamond Pilcher.



17 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

What wonderful wildflowers, RR. I never knew the Lesser Celandine was Wordsworth's favourite flower. I wonder when I will be in the Rydal and Grasmere area next ... I haven't seen a Snakeshead Fritillary for at least two years; what strangely otherworldly flowers they are somehow. I saw one more Peacock butterfly today; the season seems to be getting off to a slow start, but I'm hoping we may have another beautiful day tomorrow. It made such a difference to have it warmer - and our first two short-stemmed tulips came out in all their scarlet splendour!

Bovey Belle said...

What a lovely post - I could sense your happiness at being OUT and enjoying the countryside. God's Little Acre is looking good.

It's a lovely old church and many of the interesting bits remaining. We had to go to Carmarthen yesterday and there is a bank of Primroses beside the A40 at Nantgaredig (just a couple of miles from our old home) which has really gone to town with the Promroses this year. Hundreds of them, stunning, and Cowslips further up the A40 near Llandeilo.

I'm wondering if your pussy willow catkin could be Magnolia buds? We have a small one in the garden just the same. That white Fritillary looks so unusual.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thank you so much. Its about 3 years now since we were last in Grasmere. I did have some Snakeshead Fritillary in my own garden but lily beetles found them :( B saw a butterfly in the garden fleetingly yesterday - hope I see one today! I would imagine your tulips look lovely.

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. Yes so good to get out and see flowers and a church!

I can just see the primroses and cowslips. We once went to York and there was a large stretch of bank by an A road there covered in cowslps too.

I never thought about magnolia buds! Thank you.

Rosie said...

What a super post with so much of interest. I enjoyed reading about the folk lore and beliefs around the different flowers and you saw so many of them. It must have been a joy to be out and about. I was reminded of woodland/nature walks from the village school when I was a child. The church building and churchyard look interesting too I will follow your link. It's certainly a day for butterflies today, I saw the bright citrus yellow of the first Brimstone spotted this season. Take care:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much and so pleased you enjoyed and it brought back happy memories of childhood nature walks. Glad you have seen a butterfly - have seen two fleetingly in garden but too far away to positively id - possibly Orange Tip and Peacock!!!!
I checked the link but for some reason it has put present blog post first!!!! But if you scroll down the other post is below it showing interior of church.
Take care too :)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Glad you've managed to get out and about now lockdown is being eased. I really enjoyed the folk lore of the flowers, so interesting, and all the different names too. I've never looked at statues of angels in the same way since Doctor Who! Open or not, eased lockdown, I will be a long, long time before I feel safe in a pub or café again. Timothy, presumably, safe at home?

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - thanks so much so glad you enjoyed the folklore bits and alternative names :) yes I feel a bit the same about angel statues. I have a photo somewhere of one inside Berkswell church and I can't tell you how frightening I found it - it was so creepy. Yet in the main I love the idea of angels!!! I agree about pubs and shops - in fact going inside any building would give me the horrors unless they were completely emnpty. Yes Timothy was safe at home on book case. I only took hand sanitiser, camera, disposable gloves and phone!

Pam said...

Oh I bet you were glad to get out! The churchyard looks lovely, very much worth the visit :)

CherryPie said...

It is lovely to see all the spring flowers. I always like the combination of flowers and church yards.

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you - yes it was. Churchyards do seem to look particularly lovely in Spring if they are not manicured!

CherryPie - Thank you - yes it is a good combination and good these days to see so many allowing wild flowers etc to flourish.

Millymollymandy said...

I'm glad there is somewhere you can go for a walk, and what a lovely peaceful place. The daffies and wildflowers are lovely. Thanks for all the interesting info about the wildflowers, lots I didn't know there. Love all the photos of the church doors and carvings too. xx

Amanda Peters said...

What a lovely post, especially seeing all those spring flowers. What a great place to spend some "nature time"
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Millymollymandy - Thanks so much. It was good to get out somewhere after being cooped up in house and garden for so long! At least we can now travel a bit even if we have to stay local.

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much. I was really glad I went. So lovely to see so many Spring flowers.

The Quacks of Life said...

Hi Caroine

isn't it lovely to see the flowers?

BTW when do you put the moth trap out?

Pete

Ragged Robin said...

TheQuacks of Life - Thanks Pete and yes it is :)

A question about moths - I don't believe it!! :) Probably I would normally put it out about now but to be honest the last few years I have not trapped much. Just got out of the habit.

Mandy said...

What a beautiful church. I loved the spring flowers but especially liked the churchyard.

Ragged Robin said...

Mandy Southgate - Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment. Yes it is a lovely church, churchyard and village too.