Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 15 January 2021

Recent Reading

 


I still seem to be doing a lot of reading.  I'm not going out at all due to lockdown and not being able to drive the car anywhere to walk. OH and D do local daily walks but I have heard enough about people not social distancing to put me of going.


First of all another good Cooper and Fry Book. Sorry I can't get Kindle to show the cover of the actual e book for a proper photo.  A new Superintendent has been introduced who seems keen on change so it will be interesting to see what happens in the next book especially where Cooper and Fry are concerned.





Wednesday's Child was not the easiest book to read as it covered the abduction of a young child which made it upsetting in parts.  Overall though I am enjoying this series.







I've missed reading the Midsomer Murder books now I have finished the series and Caroline Graham has written two other novels.  The one below was just brilliant. I enjoyed every single minute. She really is a good writer.






The next in the Joanna Piercy series and again a book I found hard to put down.





Loving churches and carved misericords and bench ends I found this book fascinating. It contains a lot of information on the subject. Sad to have to buy as an e book as I would prefer a  proper book but I will rectify that if life ever returns to normal!






Another series I have recently started which I enjoy reading. Slightly different to some of the other crime novels I read as this involves one professional detective and one amateur.  Well written.





It took me a long time to read this book (a bargain buy a few years ago from The Works). It follows the journeys of 8 chroniclers of British travel through the ages starting with Gerald of Wales in the 12th century and finishing with H V Morton in the 1920's.  It is packed with interesting information although I enjoyed more chapters than others.






I've finished the first in the Inspector Morse series but I'll write about that in the next book post.


I hope everyone is staying safe and well in these worrying times. Take care.


8 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I could read the church and travel books, but would have to pass on the mysteries. Actually, I have struggled to read much at all in the past ten months, which is not me at all. I hear you, a hundred percent, over not wanting to go out because of the behaviour of others.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin. Thanks so much. Sorry to hear you are struggling with the reading. At times of worry and stress I know it can be hard to concentrate. So much rule breaking - you can see round here - people have too many visitors etc etc. :(

Rosie said...

Lots of lovely reading. I don't mind getting the crime books and other fiction on Kindle but it is nice to have non-fiction, especially with illustrations, in book form. Glad you are still enjoying the Stephen Booth and Priscilla Masters books, also Peter Robinson. I've read a few of Ann Granger's books but ages ago so I must look at her latest ones. I've hardly been out for ages, last time I walked out - over a week ago - we wore masks because they are digging up the pavements around us and there are maskless workmen everywhere but my glasses kept steaming up and I couldn't see where I was going. If we have to wear masks at all times when leaving home then I'll have to stay in as I can't not wear the glasses. I don't mind, today I've walked around the house quite a few times and done 2.5 kl on the exercise bike. Stay safe:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie Thanks so much. I find fiction fine on kindle too and it keeps bookshelves clear too but I agree re: Non fiction. It is just the fact that B moans if I buy proper books and of course atm they arrive in post and are obvious as he says I already have too many!!!

Sorry you too haven't been out much. I don't get on with masks either as you say steam up glasses and also having asthma I find it difficult. I only wear when I have to e.g. when we had flu jab and when I went in a church Herefordshire. I do hope your glasses are helping now with your vision? Sunny now I may go a walk up the garden later and look for primroses just to get out of the house! I ought to use the exercise bike here!!!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

You certainly have given us a good selection of books and I do like crime so might try that one. Thanks for commenting on my posts, I appreciate that, Have a good week ahead.

Ragged Robin said...

Margaret Birding for Pleasure - Thank you so much Margaret. I enjoy visiting your blog and seeing your posts.

Pam said...

People do have issues with social distancing, I don't blame you for not wanting to go out :/

Still if you have books then it's not so bad staying home. I am reading through the DCI Banks novels, i've picked a fair few up in charity shops but haven't got Wednesday Child yet. The Cooper and Fry books look like more to add to my to read list!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you. I am glad we are still having shopping delivered tbh I don't think I could cope with a supermarket from what I've read :(

Glad you have discovered DCI Banks. There are so many good series of crime novels. I am loving J R Ellis atm. In fact gave up on non-fiction and magazine reading since I started The Murder at Redmire Hall!!!