Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 6 December 2020

Recent Reading and This and That

 


Recent Reading

Just a few books read since the last post.




From memory Amanda from The Quiet Walker recommended this book to me. It is lovely with some beautiful illustrations and paintings of flowers and buildings.




A new author for me and I enjoyed it. Next one in the series already uploaded. (Hope I haven't written about this book before)!




I only read this book because it was already uploaded to my Kindle. Some of you may remember I was not keen on the first one in the series.  This was similar - very tongue in cheek and funny but not really my type of book.




 I really enjoyed the Lake District mysteries by this author so I thought I would try the first Harry Devlin book.  To be honest I did not really enjoy it (which was probably why I read Vicious Vet at the same time to give me some light reading relief!). Yes, it is well written, with good characterisation, plots and descriptions but I did not really like Harry Devlin very much or any of the other characters! Not sure if I will read any more.


Christmas and Baking


I am getting well ahead with my Christmas Baking - Christmas Cake and Christmas Puddings have been made so just the mincemeat to do and then of course mince pies.  I have made some savouries (cheese and pickle pinwheels) and Fir Cone Tartlets which I've frozen and yesterday I made some Gingerbread People and Bees.






I am not sure why it is so long since I last made these as I love Gingerbread biscuits and they are expensive to buy and the bought ones aren't very nice anyway. Thanks to Amanda for motivating me to make them again.



David made an aspargus quiche last weekend which was tasty. This weekend he is making up his own version of our favourite Pizza Express Pizza.


The Christmas Cactus is flowering





The Christmas Tree has been put up - much earlier than usual!







Most of the other decorations I'll put up nearer Christmas.  We are lighting the Advent Candle though each night.




I treated myself again this year to the Angela Harding Advent Calendar.





D treated the family to this wooden Christmas Tree Advent Calendar.


The caravan site in Herefordshire has re-opened for December as they are in Tier 2. We are in Tier 3 so consquently are unable to visit or stay overnight. So reluctantly we have asked the owners to fully close the caravan down for the winter.  In the unlikely event that at the review mid December we are downgraded to Tier 2 I can't see me having the time to go before Christmas which would only leave perhaps a few days between Christmas and the New Year depending on weather. So we decided we will wait until March.

I haven't been out since we last went to Herefordshire so yesterday D and I went a walk around Berkswell. Busier than I hoped but the churchyard was nice and quiet and a haven!  I will post a few photos later in the week.

I am still finding new blogger a pain! In fact that is a slight understatement!


I hope everyone is staying safe and well in these worrying times.

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.







11 comments:

Pam said...

I've made a note of Martin Edwards and the Lake District books, i'm trying to stick with my current authors at the minute as i've so many to read but it's always good to have a back up list.........

The tree looks lovely, I think many people have been decorating earlier than usual this year. The colour of the cactus flowers is gorgeous! What a shame you aren't able to squeeze in a visit to the caravan but at least there is someone there to shut it all down for you and I guess you just have to look forward to next year there :)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I have to say I am not an Agatha Raisin fan either. Unfortunately, sometimes, late at night I have episodes on the telly as background company and they are worse than the books. The food all looks delicious, and your Advent chocolate calendar is something else! Who gets to eat them all? I wonder, and why is Timothy covered in chocolate?

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much. I really enjoyed the LD mystery series. But I know what you mean about having a lot of books to read!!! I think you are right about Cmas tree decorating - I have heard the same. Thanks re: caravan. Always next year just hoping life will be better by the Spring or Summer!

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you so much. So pleased I am not alone re: Agatha Raisin I thought perhaps I was missing something!!!! EEK A tv series :( Timothy is looking rather chocolate smothered :)!!!!!!

Rosie said...

Lots of lovely things in your post. Your tree looks wonderful - ours is still in the roof space - we didn't bother last year to get it down but I think we will this year, I like the badger ornament. Your baking looks lovely and you've reminded me that we have some fox shaped biscuit cutters somewhere. I too enjoyed the Martin Edwards lake District novels and seem to think I tried a Develin one but wasn't keen. We have the Angela Harding calendar for next year. I didn't buy one last year because a friend gave me the Jo Grundy one we've used (and photographed} this year. Lots to look forward to with visits to your caravan next year, takecare:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. Tree a bit overjammed with items but each one has a memory either from who it belonged to or who made it or where it was bought! My friend (now living in North Wales) made the felt badger for me. She has just emailed with photos of her felting - all things from The 12 Days of Christmas - she is very creative!

Gingerbread mix works well with biscuit cutters I found :) I just couldn't take to the Devlin book at all. I am hoping for the Angela Harding calendar for next year too!!! Hopefully, March will soon come round and perhaps next year at some stage life will become less worrying for us all. Take care too Rosie.

Bovey Belle said...

That Angela Harding calendar is stunning. Must check it out on line now!

Your tree is beautifully dressed. I was looking at the books behind it and thinking, oh gosh, those are so HEAVY!! as I have been assembling boxes from the Removal peeps today and can tell you exactly HOW many it took to pack away just ONE big bookcase (16 in case you are interested!)

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. Yes Angela Harding's illustrations are lovely.

Thought of moving books gives me the heebie jeebies. OH will be on about me pruning them again and last time I did that was bad enough. 16 boxes heck!!!!!!

Sarah Head said...

I agree with you entirely about the TV Agatha Raisin series - all froth and no substance, which is such a disappointment given that they filmed it in the Cotswolds. However, I recently listened to the Penelope Keith radio version on Radio4Extra. This was a completely different kettle of fish, gritty, down to earth and some wonderful wry humour. I was amazed.

I wondered if you might like to give my debut novel a try. A Necessary Blessing by Sarah Head is currently available free on Kindle on Amazon UK. I've based it in my childhood Cotswold villages and the ghost story comes from St Ann's well in Leeds.

I've been amazed to see a green woodpecker in my Solihull garden twice recently. I think he is helping the local crows to dig up our lawn! There was also a kestrel sitting on the fence a week or so ago and we often see the buzzard quartering overhead since the first lockdown. With our resident foxes and tawny owls, the countryside seems to be coming to us when we can't visit.

Ragged Robin said...

Sarah Head - Thanks so much and interesting about the radio series. I can just imagine Penelope Keith - will try and search it out.

I would love to try your debut novel - thanks for the information. I will visit Amazon later :)

It is wonderful what you can see in suburban gardens when you observe closely. We used to get Great Spotted Woodpeckers but in 40 years plus have only ever seen one Green Woodpecker. We get buzzards overhead too - a new development and in the past have heard Tawny Owls but no kestrels though we do get Sparrowhawks!

CherryPie said...

I love the gingerbread bees :-)

This year we put up our trees earlier that we usually would.

Everyone need a bit of Sparkle & Shine this year.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you. I think many people put up trees earlier than usual this year.