Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 8 August 2020

Short Stay in Herefordshire - Part 1: St Michael's Church, Bockleton



E's been on holiday all week so we spent a few days in Herefordshire. On the Wednesday B was busy weeding the small garden we have inherited from the previous plot holders and E was happy with her phone so I decided to go along and have a look at the Church of St Michael at Bockleton which is only 10 minutes drive away. I didn't do much research beforehand as I couldn't find the church in any of my Herefordshire books. Not surprising really as I discovered it is just over the border in Worcestershire although it is under the Leominster Team Ministry which is a trifle confusing! Anyway I was in for a surprise as the church was much older than I thought it would be!


Timothy enjoying the 15th century timber lych gate although I have to admit I left him in my bag in the car (we didn't want a repeat of him falling out of my pocket experience!).







This Parish Church dates back to the 12th century with the nave dating back to c1160, the North Chapel was added c1560 and there were more alterations in the 17th century. The Chancel is mid 13th century. The church interior was restored in 1862 by Woodyer. St Michael's is built of sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings and a stone-tiled roof. Two original round headed windows flank the Norman doorways.



A notice on the lychgate suggested the church was open for private prayer on Sundays and another note on the North doorway suggested you should use hand sanitiser on entering and leaving and stay at the rear of the church. To be honest I am still not keen on going into buildings so I didn't even bother to try the door to see if it was open. There was plenty of interest around the exterior and churchyard to keep me occupied.







The Norman North Door is of two orders with two large roll mouldings between cable mouldings with an outer band of embattled and lozenge decoration. The jambs have detached shafts with scalloped capitals and the spandrels are carved with flowers in circles. The arcade above has five bays and some of the capitals have carved stone heads.








































I was thrilled to see that, although the churchyard to the front of the church was all neat and tidy, to the rear of the church many parts had been left to go a "little wild" so that wildlife could flourish.








The Norman South Doorway had a portaloo in front of it!



The South Doorway is of a single order with a four bay arcade.













The West Tower was added in the late 16th or early 17th century.



There were many interesting old gravestones - some draped with ivy and others covered in lichen.

















This has an inscription to Elizabeth Knight who died in October 1823 or 1825.














East window - exterior view. One day when life becomes more "normal" I will visit the interior as there seems quite a bit of interest to see.








Another lychgate - both were propped open which was good!


Mounting block



There was a farm next door.




B won't be happy that I am purchasing another book but I have now ordered a second hand copy of Mike Salter's "Old Parish Churches of Worcestershire" to go with the other 3 I have on Herefordshire, Shropshire and Warwickshire. Pevsner for Shropshire and Worcestershire would be good additions but I really can't justify the expense!!


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


Reference: Historic Englands Website






7 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

Lovely photos and an interesting church - I had to smile at the positioning of the Portaloo though!

I can see you will be thoroughly enjoying your little breaks. Lots to see and visit in Herefordshire.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you - the portaloo position was a bit of a hoot really! Apparently it was the only area that was flat and out of sight of front of church.

Yes as you say so much to do in Herefordshire and only 90 minutes from home is a bonus. The only problem is that at the moment many of the things I planned to do worry me especially anything indoors!!

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I am glad you are getting out and about. The hoarding masses here now ensure I am staying put. It's so bad, my village made it onto the Welsh news last evening. We've gone, apparently, from our normal population of 1,800 to 30,000. Shots showed queuing for food, many tens of people, no masks, no social distancing. I am a long way from going into buildings too.
My jaw is on the ground at the positioning of the portaloo. Nothing to say, I am too shocked. Wise decision to keep Timothy safe as possible.

Rosie said...

Good to be able to get away to Herefordshire again. The church looks interesting and your photos are lovely. What a strange place for a portaloo I wonder if it is for people working on the building or for the congregation? I expect it isn't used anyway at the moment. I'm glad you kept Timothy safe in the car whilst you had a good explore of the churchyard:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you and I am so sorry to hear of the hordes of tourists descending on your village and causing so many problems. We've been taking food to the caravan partly because I have no wish to go in a shop or supermarket but also because as you say it can congest local shops which is not fair on local people. Thankfully, Herefordshire does not seem to be a major holiday destination. The only person I saw at the church was a milk tanker going into the farm as I left.

I was forewarned about the portaloo as I had already seen a photo on twitter - there is a group that regularly post photos of such items and also traffic cones etc. in incongruous positions!

Rosie - Thank you. I shall go back and go inside the church when it is properly open and life is more "normal" - if it ever is :( Not sure who the portaloo is meant for - could be both? It was padlocked so definitely not in use! Timothy is not easy to clean unless I bung him in the washing machine so sadly his outings may be limited for a while! I can't wash him every time I go out :( What horrible times we live in to have to think like this all the time.

Pam said...

Very nice that you got chance to explore a little, it's good to have time on your own I think! :)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam Thanks and yes it is :) It is the only way I am going to be able to explore all the Herefordshire churches I want to! My son may come to some but only if there is a nearby motte and bailey :)