Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 21 July 2020

Garden, Butterflies, Books and a Local Walk



Butterflies

Last week I saw my first Gatekeeper of the year in the garden and also the first Small Copper.


Small Copper



Butterfly Conservation's annual "Big Butterfly Count" started recently and I shall probably do several in the garden. The first at the weekend resulted in Small White x 2, Gatekeeper x 1, Speckled Wood x 1, Peacock x 2,Large White x 1 and Comma x 1.




Garden Flowers

Buddleia is now flowering just in time for the butterfly counts :)


Astrantia


Pot Marigold



A month or so back I thought I had lost the oregano I was growing in a pot as I forgot to water it during a dry spell. I watered if madly for several days after I found the leaves all shrivelled and then decided it wasn't going to recover but oh look! the other day I spotted that new leaves were appearing and it had survived! The pot by the way has now been "weeded"



In the wild flower mini meadow - Self Heal, Scabious and Knapweed are now flowering.











I spotted this unusual insect on an astrantia flower. It is a Digger Wasp Cerceris rybyensis Many thanks to Steven Falk on Twitter who identified it for me.








Reading

This is a lovely little poetry book by a lady who grew up on a farm near Coleshill. Many of the verses related to local places such as Coleshill and Lapworth.




The Ann Cleeves "George and Molly" books are improving as the series progresses and I really enjoyed this.



This had a rather disturbing topic of a missing child but the book was very good. Another series I am enjoying immensely.







On Sunday D and I went a walk and found a public footpath at Bickenhill which we had not used before. The hedgerows especially with brambles in flower were very good for butterflies - Commas, Red Admirals, Small Tortoisehells, Gatekeepers, Meadow Brown and "Whites".












Mallow


Bindweed









Comma



The lane reached a field and again we walked along the hedgerow towards the M42 in the far distance.




Soldier Beetle


Meadow Brown







Common Toadflax





*D

Gatekeeper

*D

Comma

*D



*D


This old phone box has been converted into a place where people leave books they no longer want for other people to borrow which is a lovely idea.


*D


It was a nice walk and good to get out in the sunshine and we didn't see anyone at all on the footpath or in the field. The countryside finally seems to be becoming quieter or at least locally.



*D Photos taken by my son with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera

Rest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera






10 comments:

Edward Evans said...

I'm growing all sorts of wildflowers from seed, I want to make lots of different wildflowers in my garden, not as a meadow but different plants dotted around the garden. I really recommend you purchase seed from them as my germination rates are great.
Stay safe,
Edward.

Ragged Robin said...

Edward Evans - Thanks so much. I just wondered if you meant to mention a company re: the seeds? Stay safe and well too.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Despite the wildlife state of my garden, I am deeply concerned over the drastic decline in bees and butterflies in my garden. I had to smile when I read that the pot is now weeded, for many is the time I look at a photo and say to myself, you can't post that! The book library telephone box is a good idea, but I am not certain I would take a book right now, but it's wonderful you found a new path to follow. The countryside was quiet enough here in May for me to hear a distant cuckoo!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you. That does sound worrying about the decline in insects in your garden despite all you do to encourage them. lol re: the weeded pot! Will try and take another photo now its been weeded and post. I wouldn't be going to telephone box for books atm either! Glad you heard a cuckoo in May.

Caroline Gill said...

As ever, a lovely post to read, RR. Our garden butterfly species pretty much map on to yours, but we have been amazed at Gatekeeper numbers since we never saw more than the odd one or two. Our white Buddleia is finally in flower, and attracting the odd Peacock and Red Admiral. We had our second Speckled Wood of the season here yesterday.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much :) Good news about your butterflies esp. Gatekeepers. I've seen up to 6 here in previous years they love the oregano flowers. I did a butterfly count again this morning and there was a holly blue on our white buddleia :)

Rosie said...

I must try and get involved with the butterfly count this year although having said that I've seen very few in the garden just a few whites. Over the fields on our walks we've seen meadow browns, skippers and ringlets plus the odd tortoiseshell. It has the feeling of late summer in the fields and hedgerows and bindweed always reminds me of that, we saw plenty on our walk today. Glad you are still enjoying the Joanna Piercy novels. the poetry book looks lovely, the cover is delightful. Glad your Oregano wasn't lost. Stay safe:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. The butterfly count has only just started and goes on until 9th August - so plenty of time left. I think you can do it anywhere too - not just the garden. I was going to do one on the walk Sunday but forgot my watch to time it! It does feel like late Summer to me too. For some reason I am never very keen on the months of July and August as the countryside always looks "tired" before the bounty of autumn. Stay safe too.

CherryPie said...

We have an extraordinary number of butterflies in our garden this year.

The pathways near me are gradually getting quieter too. In the past couple of weeks I have felt able to walk along pathways that I have been avoiding for months.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Good news about all your butterflies :)