Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 9 May 2020

More of "This and That" !!!





Another post about reading, baking and garden wildlife etc!


Recent Reading


This book has been in the "To Be Read Pile" for ages. To be honest I thought it was about geology whereas it is more about the geography of the British Isles but I did enjoy it and there is a fun quiz to do at the end.



Treated myself to this for the Kindle and loved it. This series has just got better and better although there is a bit of a gap in years between the last book and this one.




Garden Wildlife and Flowers


Perennial Cornflower



Two varieties of Cranesbill Geranium are now flowering. The first blue one is much loved by bees and the second one flowers all summer. In fact, I might try deadheading the blue one once the flowers have finished in the hope it will flower some more.




London Pride




Lily of the Valley - sorry rubbish photo but that border is overgrown with brambles and I couldn't get any closer



Lilac



More and more Red Campion flowers are appearing in the border where it has self-seeded.




Rhododendron - we just have the one. I must admit I am not overkeen on them but the flowers are pretty and the bees seem to enjoy them.




Rowan is in flower



Aquilegias/Columbine/Granny's Bonnet have self seeded in the front garden.





Blossom in the wooded area - I can't get close enough to id as the path into the "wood" is covered in brambles and nettles at the moment!



Whitebeam in flower



Ribwort Plantain



Tellima grandiflora or Fringe Cups. Sorry Dean I had forgotten we had this in the garden when I saw your photo. I spotted this at Brueton Park on a public footpath some years ago and someone very kindly identified it for me and even gave me a plant. So thank you Tony if you ever visit the blog.




Climbing Hydrangea coming into flower on the patio - E thinks robins are nesting there.




Valerian



Holly Berries!



Star of Bethlehem





The kettle you can see in the arch was once used by robins as a nesting site. In those days the arch was completely covered in "Mile a Minute". To be honest I rather liked it but B thought it had got out of control and replaced it with a clematis which is only just starting to grow!





I put out the moth trap on Thursday evening - min temp 11.1 but there was a Full Moon and no moths were caught just a Caddis Fly.

New species for the garden include - Mint Moth (Pyrausta aurata), Tree and Early Bumble Bees and Leaf Cutter Bee.


There are 8 Blue Tit eggs and the female is still incubating - they may hatch in a week or so. Fingers crossed!






One lone Nasturtium seedling



and Sweet Pea seedlings are appearing.



No sign of the sunflowers or wall pennywort germinating and sadly we lost all the rose cuttings we took from my mum's garden last autumn even though a couple did have shoots. Perhaps we should have put them outside rather than in the porch. B has kept one that looked more alive than the rest so one can but hope.


Cooking

Mushroom Curry for tea and


E made some Chewy Almond Flapjacks from Mary Berry's Fast Cakes book


Thanks again to Sarah - the flour has arrived from Shipton Mill.



Knitting

I've been knitting a little owl and finally finished sewing it up yesterday.





Rainbow last night




A few more pages from the little journal. Warning if you don't like spiders don't go past the first two photos or look at the last photo in the blog post.









I found this spider in the moth trap when I was putting it back together - I think it may be Steatoda bipunctuata sometimes called The Rabbit Hutch Spider - common in animal pens, sheds and garages. There were some cocoony type things nearby (eggs or young??) so I put the spider and the cocoons together near the greenhouse.









I hope everyone is coping with the "stay at home" rule and you are all safe and well. Take care everyone.



All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


13 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I am beginning to wonder how many more photos of aquilegia will be allowed before they crash the internet! What you call London Pride is very different to mine, which is long stemmed, tiny white flowers and from the Saxifrage family. Thank goodness for our gardens, though, I think they are saving us right now. Love the look of the mushroom curry. Adding mushrooms to my shopping list as I haven't had any for a few weeks now, not unavailable, just changing it up again. Stay safe, stay well!

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you and lol re: aquilegia! There are a lot of photos about! It could well be my London Pride is not London Pride and I misidentified it years ago and have kept on calling it that. As you say thank goodness for gardens. If you want the recipe for mushroom curry let me know via twitter and I will dm it to you. It only had a few ingredients which is helpful atm! Stay safe and well.

Bovey Belle said...

I have London Pride here and it doesn't look a great deal like yours either, but worry not, I'm sure your plant doesn't mind what it is called - it is really pretty.

You have a lovely garden and I love the wild Red Campions colonising that border! I have no Rhododendrons or Azaleas as when I was setting up my garden I went for roses instead. The colour of yours is very pretty.

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. It doesn't sound as though it is London Pride then - obviously something I have wrongly got fixed in my mind!!! :)

Glad you like the garden. We have about 5 azaleas (pink, red and orange) and as mentioned just the one rhododendron. We only have wild climbing dog roses and that is something I regret not having far more of. My dad used to have a lovely rose garden. I was hoping to buy some from David Austen last year until I saw the price!!!!!!!

Caroline Gill said...

Timothy is looking very smart! Your journal, RR, is coming on beautifully: it will be a wonderful thing to look back on. We had our first Small Copper of the year yesterday in the garden, and I was so pleased to find it was the earliest I have recorded so far. The spider is amazing: I have certainly never seen one of these...

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much for your kind comment :) Good news about the Small Copper in the garden. We rarely see them here although, last year from memory, there were a couple of sightings :)

Pam said...

I love the Columbine, I have lots of it in the garden!Your garden is looking really good for the wildlife, i'm sure they don't mind the overgrown bits!

Rosie said...

Lovely photos of the flowers and trees in your garden. The Valerian at the side of our house is in full flower now, Paul calls it Welsh weed as we brought fluffy seeds back from a roadside plant at Abersoch. Your London Pride is different to ours. I love it as it reminds me of grandma's house, she had loads of it all over. I too thought that the Brighton novels by Elly Griffiths get better with each one. I wonder where they will go now they have moved forward in time? Love your little owl. I saw a Brimstone butterfly yesterday and a dragonfly emerge from the pond on Saturday. Yesterday on our walk we saw a big fluffy caterpillar don't know it it will be a butterfly or a moth. Take care:)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much. Columbine is very pretty and I love the term Granny's Bonnet to describe it!:)

Rosie - Thanks so much. You did well with your Welsh Weed I tried to grow it from seed but never succeeded and in the end bought 3 plants! From everyone's comments I don't think my flower is London Pride! I must have misidentified it years ago! Will be interesting to see with the Brighton books. Your garden wildlife sounds good :) and I have failed to see a caterpillar yet this year!!! Take care too.

Punk Birder said...

Lovely photos Caroline. No need to apologise regards the Fringe Cups ;-)

Ragged Robin said...

Punk Birder - Thanks so much Dean :)

CherryPie said...

Your garden looks lovely and the curry looks delicious :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you.