Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 14 November 2019

Recent Reading



I've loved the Maisie Dobbs books but I did struggle with "A Dangerous Place" read a few months ago but I am pleased to say that in this book Maisie is back on top form and I really enjoyed it. In fact, it is one of the best stories so far.




I don't read many travel writing books and this is the first Bill Bryson book I have read. The book is very funny at times and it was interesting to see some of England through his eyes. I enjoyed it enough to think of reading "The Road to Little Dribbling" as that is also set in England but I don't think I would bother with his books about other countries.




I am still loving the Nikki Galena books and will be very sad when I have read them all. This one was particularly good.



The next in the series of Wesley Peterson books I have been reading and again I enjoyed this one immensely. The good news is that I think there are a lot more books in the series to read.




I bought The Wayfarer's Journal in a second hand bookshop in Much Wenlock and this is really a book to treasure. I have taken a few photos of some of the pages in the book to give you an idea of the content and if you enjoy maps, walking, villages and churches then I would urge you to snap up a copy of this book if you ever see it for sale in a second hand bookshop as I am pretty sure it is now out of print.

Three men, inspired by Hilaire Belloc's "The Old Road" and united in their interests of walking, churches and the antiquities of English towns and the countryside, decided in 1953, to complete The Pilgrims Way from Winchester to Canterbury. En route they were joined by the brother of one of the men. So began "The Viatore" - a small group of walkers who planned and completed two walks in a year. In 1960 following the death of one of the original members, it was decided that they would create a journal detailing past and future walks. Two of them John Lloyd and Pat Sellars - the scribe and author - have produced this journal over the course of 30 years. The group have rules which are perhaps a little eccentric but sound rather fun such as hats must be worn at all times to carry pilgrim badges, sticks must be carried, clothes should be subdued, no-one should shave during a walk and no-one shall buy a drink for another.

The book really is a gem. It is a work of art and beautifully presented with exquisite text, maps and illustrations.










Years ago I read many of the Ray Bradbury books and "Dandelion Wine" is one of my favourite books of all time. D downloaded this book to read at Halloween and I couldn't resist reading it too. It is typical Ray Bradbury - full of imagination and a wonderful use of words.



Time to try a new author so thanks to Rosie from "Corners of My Mind" and Pete from "Quacks of Life" for inspiring me to try Stephen Booth. Black Dog is the first in a series with Ben Cooper and Diane Fry and I really loved every minute of this book although my sympathies were totally with Ben (to find out why you will have to read the book if you haven't yet done so!). The next in the series has already made its way onto my kindle!!!





The sale of my mother's house was finally completed towards the end of last week which is a relief to put it mildly as the last 3 years have not been easy! My son had the last minute idea of taking rose cuttings from a rose in the front garden which my mum was particularly fond of so I asked B to take some cuttings for me when we went round for the final time. I am just hoping one will take. It will take the solicitor a while to finalise the estate but I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel.


The Christmas Cactus is already flowering in our porch. It never flowered in the house but it seems to like its new position.





7 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Good selection of books and I am glad your Mum's house is now sorted. My Christmas Cactis is not blooming yet. I am back again for a little while so trying to catch up. Have a wonderful weekend.

Midmarsh John said...

I read many of Ray Bradbury's books many years ago. That was one I had not heard of before.
The Wayfarers' Journey looks so interesting I did a quick search and found quite a few s/h copies available on Amazon at very reasonable prices. Needless to say I have one on order.
I always look forward to your book reviews as I sometimes find something which takes my fancy that I would never have found out about elsewhere.

Pam said...

I love Bill Bryson books, even the ones about other countries :) his writing is very witty.

I'm pleased things are finally reaching an end with your Mum's house. I can imagine it really is a relief for you. I think it was a good idea to take the cuttings :)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

"The Wayfarer's Journal" looks beautiful indeed, I must look to see if I can find one for myself. I haven't read 'Notes' but have read 'Little Dribbling' and plan to read Notes based on that. I hope your rose cuttings take. A rose my Great Grandmother planted in the house where I grew up is still flourishing and I must go ask the current owner for cuttings.

Ragged Robin said...

Margaret Birding for Pleasure - Thanks so much. Hope you catch up and can relax while at home and I look forward to seeing where you are off to next on your travels :)

Midmarsh John - Thanks so much. I hadn't heard of that particularly Ray Bradbury either before my son found it - I still have some of my old paperbacks by him. Thanks so much for your kind words about my book posts and I really hope you enjoy The Wayfarers' Journal as much as I did - it really is a book to treasure :)

Pam - Thank you - yes Bill Bryson made me laugh out loud many times! Thanks too for your kind words about my mum's house and it is a huge relief especially with the winter coming on when I would have been worried about frozen pipes etc!

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you. I think you can get The Wayfarers' Journal on Amazon - please see Midmarsh John's comment above. It really is a charming book. I have got another book about icons of England from memory to read - edited by Bill Bryson and with contributions by many people. So hope you can get cuttings of your Great Grandmother's rose and I will let you know next year if the cuttings take :)

Rosie said...

Lots of lovely books from some of my favourite authors, although I've never read a book by Ray Bradbury. The Wayfairer's Guide looks wonderful with such attractive pages. I'm glad that your worries about your mother's house will soon be over and what a good idea to take cuttings of her roses for your own garden. Have a lovely weekend:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much for your kind words. I quite regularly check your lists of books read and whenever I want to find a new author and series your blog is the first place I go for ideas :) Have a lovely weekend too :)