Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 8 September 2019

A Walk Around Local Lanes




Last weekend D and I did one of our favourite circular walks around local North Warwickshire lanes. It is just over a mile and passes fields, woods and goes through a hamlet. I've been walking this route for nigh on over 40 years although D nowhere as long! In fact one of his first outings as a newborn baby was this walk.











There are still plenty of wild flowers in the hedgerows









although signs of autumn are appearing

*D











with seedheads and

*D


*D


*D


*D


*D


berries - hawthorn, , blackberries and sloes. Ivy flowers are also now appearing. I think the orange monbretia type flower above is a garden escape as it was on the grass verge near a cottage.












Into the little hamlet of Shawbury which I do like - they are building new houses here but they start at 625K so I won't be thinking of moving there! :(










*D


*D


*D


*D


















Almost back at the car




We drove home via Nether Whitacre - there was a house on the market here earlier in the year which was affordable and which I fell in love with - it even had a tower! and half an acre of garden plus a garden office. Sadly, it was around the time I was busy getting my mother's house ready to go on the market and the day I received an offer for that I decided to view so went on the website only to find it had disappeared. I have since found out it is sold subject to contract but whenever I am in the area I drive past in hope a for sale notice has again appeared! D took a photo of a rather lovely weather vane on a nearby house.


*D



*D Photos taken by my son with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera

Rest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera

12 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

A circular walk is always a lovely thing to do, for you know you will be returning to the start and not having to figure out how to get back to the car! I hope thermos and cake awaited after this ramble through your local byways of Autumnal scenery.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin -Thank you and yes circular walks, especially those you do regularly!, are good. Once years ago I was doing a bird survey for the BTO and went with my daughter to that area. I had planned a route via OS maps on public footpaths but we got hopelessly lost! Some footpaths just have a habit of completely disappearing. It took us hours to get back to the car and I thought I knew the area well!!

Sadly no thermos and cake! We went just after lunch and it is fairly close to home so I didn't bother with a flask :(

CherryPie said...

Your local walk looks so beautiful.

I have some lovely local walks too.

Ragged Robin said...

Cherry Pie - Thank you. It is always good to repeat walks at different seasons of the year :)

Rosie said...

Great to have a favourite walk nearby with so many memories of previous visits too, sometimes the familiar is comforting. The house you like sounds lovely, how wonderful if it became available again. We'd love to downsize and move back closer to what little family we have left but times are so uncertain at the moment so we daren't risk it:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thank you. It is a good walk when you haven't much time and want to stay local and as you say the familiar is comforting especially in these troubled times.

House move wise things difficult for us really as property in Warwickshire is so expensive - you look in other counties and you can get so much more for much much less money. But it is difficult with both my son and daughter being at home and having jobs. The "tower" house was rural and only about 10 miles from where we live now. To be honest in all the years I have looked local it was the only one I would have considered buying.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

There's a lot to see in such a short little walk!

Ragged Robin said...

Simon Douglas Thompson -Thank you Simon :)

Anonymous said...

You might still get lucky with that tower house - I shall keep my fingers crossed for you!

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - thank you. I do check the estate agent's website every week :)

Pam said...

This is such a beautiful walk, it must be interesting to see the changes over the years!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much. My son suggested possibly picking one or two scenes from the walk and photographing the same scene each month throughout the year to record the changes.