Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 5 August 2019

Recent Reading and a few Photos from my Garden



Pebbles on the Beach is a book I had years ago and sadly at some stage it was "culled". This is a new edition and if you like geology and collecting pebbles from the beach you will love this book. It certainly added a new dimension to my pebble hunts on Anglesey.




This is an e-book I bought and read before the Anglesey holiday - it is very short but interesting.




For some reason (perhaps because of the sad news at the start of the story or the fact that Sandra and Billy weren't in it) I did not enjoy this book anywhere near as much as earlier stories. I shall read the next story "Journey to Munich" though in the hope I will get back into the series.



I loved this book in the Stephens and Mephisto series - the stories have just got better and better and I think there is possibly a new one in the pipeline?



I treated myself to the latest Ruth Galloway story for the holiday. I did enjoy it but perhaps the Ruth/Nelson thing is wearing a bit thin? I suspect their on/off relationship will never reach what I would class as a satisfactory conclusion!



This is a fascinating little book to dip in and out off and it is full of interesting plant and tree facts and folklore.


I always enjoy John Lewis-Stempel books and this was no exception although Meadowlands and The Running Hare are still my favourites.


This was a cheap supermarket buy - a timeslip novel which I really enjoyed but I do like Kate Morton's books and have read them all. Not one to keep though as I doubt I would re-read it so I shall be a good girl and take it to the charity bookshop.



The Fen books just keep getting better and better. I just could not put this book down and even read it during the time I usually devote to non-fiction reading!





In the garden Painted Ladies finally arrived last week. Two were seen and both just in time for another Big Butterfly count. A record shot taken from the bedroom window.






I thought I had lost the garden lilies this year but I must have been looking too early in the year for flowers because they are still there.




This is a larger variety than the two above.



Truffles the Sheep bought at Stokesay Castle and now living on a log on the second lawn.



We have a giant ragwort in the garden - it is taller than me! i.e. over five foot two inches! Sadly although I have seen Cinnabar Moths in the garden there are no caterpillars yet.............



I have no idea what this plant is although bees love it. If anyone knows please leave a comment.



We were late sowing runner beans but there are plenty of flowers and beans forming now Common Carder Bees have found the flowers.



Pumpkin flower - hoping for a few to make soup and carve for Hallowe'en. This time round I will not be naming them as on the last occasion I couldn't bring myself to eat or carve Henry or Humphrey!



Self Heal has appeared in the garden (for the first time I think).




Insects on Wild Carrot


If you enlarge this photo you may be able to see the native yellow and black ladybird which I didn't spot until I had uploaded the photo! Presumably it is a twenty two spot?


I love the seedheads of Wild Carrot



I have had a Passion Flower plant clambering over an arch (in competition with honeysuckle) for years and this year for the first time ever we have flowers :) Sadly they don't last long but there are at least 3 more buds.




Monbretia



Water Mint



Astrantia - so pretty and loved by insects. I really would also like the darker pink variety.


Phlox



Golden Rod much loved by hoverflies is coming into flower.


Cosmos


Leaf Cutter Bees have found the new bee hotel.


Gatekeeper on Phlox


I fell in love with Wall Pennywort when at the Hut Circles on Anglesey and ordered some seeds. We have a lot of stone walls in the garden and I am thinking of putting a few seeds in the crevices in the hope they will germinate. I'll have to mark the places somehow so B doesn't accidentally weed them out although as you can see from the photos plants seem to enjoy growing in the crevices.




Echinops coming into flower - much loved by bees and



the first blackberries.



All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera.

14 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Since my back is bad I have had to stop reading as I cannot get comfortable for long enough. I must try again. You have some lovely plants in your garden. Self Heal arrived in my lawn a few years ago. I cannot decide if it has seeded from the herb I planted and is naturally dwarfing due to poor soil, or if it is a miniature sort.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your garden looks like a real haven for wildlife. Good for you! I wish that more people would plant with pollinators and other insects in mind. Even a small parch can make a difference.

Bovey Belle said...

Super post, as always. Some brilliant reading matter there, especially the latest Elly Griffiths - she's one of my favourite authors. Plant Lore and Legend looks good too - in fact, I had better add all of these to my "wanted" list!!!

You have some great plants in your garden to attract wildlife. I hope you can get your Wall Pennywort established.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you and I am so very sorry to hear that your bad back is preventing you from reading. I hope it gets better soon. I have to be very careful not to sit on "soft" settees as although they are comfy they are not good for my back!

Glad you have Self Heal too - I must try and find the wild flower seeds we planted years ago and see if Self Heal was in the mix although I don't think it was.

David M Gascgoine - Thank you. We've tried over the 40 years plus we have been here to create a garden good for wildlife. As you say even a pollinator "pot" can make a difference.

Bovey Belle - Thank you. Yes I love Elly Griffiths too - I think there is another Ruth Galloway in the pipelie. Ruth Binney plant book is good - I spotted it in Waterstones and as usual could not resist!!!

Thanks for the good wishes re: Wall Pennywort - will also sew some seeds in pots as back up and will post a photo if I am lucky. Not been gardening much atm as psorisias on my hands (which developed out of the blue with all problems at mother's house :( ) has been very bad recently.

Rosie said...

You have some lovely plants and flowers in your garden and the new bee hotel looks impressive. There were two Maisie Dobbs books which went a bit 'off piste' but things do eventually go back to the original trio working together. Love Elly Griffiths both of her series are good and I usually can't put them down. I've not long since read the Kate Morton book but I've already forgotten the story. So glad you finally had some Painted Ladies visit your garden:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. Thanks too for the info re: the Maise books - I will remember things sound more normal in a few books time!! You inspired me to read the Elly Griffiths books:) I find your reading lists so useful and most of the authors of fiction I currently read came from your blog so thank you :) I used to read a lot of those time slip novels but after a while they all blend into one and as you say are instantly forgettable! The KM latest seemed over long to me as well.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I can't help with your mystery flower, sorry but now I have found out a couple of my own mystery flowers (Astrantia and Echinops. Great selection of books there, particularly Pebbles on the Beach and Still Water

Ragged Robin said...

Crafty Green Poet - Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment. So pleased the post has helped you id some of your mystery flowers :) Yes I loved both the books you mention.

Pam said...

The Pebbles on the Beach looks lovely, the cover alone is eye catching!

Your garden looks like quite a riot of colour and very enticing.......finally for the Painted Lady!!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you. I find sometimes I buy a book just because the cover is so attractive! :)

So good to finally see a PL - now seeing one or two every day in the garden :)

Anonymous said...

Another super post, thank you. I have just started to read a sample of a Joy Ellis so I hope that she will suit me and I can get more books on the Kindle.

Not a single Painted Lady here, but Self Heal has been a constant in this area since I moved here 22 years ago - I always feel so happy when I see it in Spring.

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Thanks so much. I do hope you enjoy Joy Ellis. I have bought all the Fen books on the Kindle as I just love the series. BUT if you are reading a sample of the first book please don't be put off my NG's actions in the first chapters as there is a reason for this. I hated the first few chapters and thought the books weren't for me. But I stuck with it and really enjoyed the rest of the book and the others I have read so far.

Hope you get a visit from Painted Lady at some stage and lovely to hear of your Self Heal - I hope my few plants return or self seed for next year.

CherryPie said...

Lovely photos of your garden :-)

Ragged Robin said...

Cherry Pie - Thanks so much. :)