Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 30 May 2019

Churchyard at St Giles, Sheldon



Last weekend I was doing some family chauffeuring and realised that if I made a slight detour on the way home I could visit one of Birmingham's medieval churches. I thought it might be open as there was a suggestion they offer tea and cakes during the time I would be there. But even if it was closed I could have a wander round the exterior and the churchyard.






The nave of the church dates from around 1330 and the church is made of sandstone. The church was restored in 1867 by Slater and Carpenter and is Grade II listed. From 1690 the Rector was Thomas Bray who later helped to establish the Church of England in Maryland.








The lychgate was erected in 1899 to commemorate the 50th year of Rev. B Jones-Bateman's incumbency as Rector Of Sheldon. He remained as vicar until 1910.







The churchyard was delightful (lots of areas where the grass had not been cut) and full of wild flowers - Buttercups, Campion, Cow Parsley, Daisies, Speedwell and Ribwort Plantain.















The church tower was added in the 15th century.






The gargoyles looked modern.







The porch dates back to the mid 16th century.



A 13th century coffin lid with a long plain calvary cross.







I got my knuckles rapped on Twitter for calling this a Leper's Squint. This is now an outdated theory and the view now is that these windows now called Low Side Windows were used possibly as ventilation or for a handbell to be rung to alert parishioners working in the nearby fields that it was nearly time for mass.





There were some interesting carvings on the exterior East Wall - I am not sure if they are heraldic? although one is an Agnus Dei so perhaps others contain religious symbols too? If you read this post John (Stray Rambler) would love to know your thoughts.

















The Pentagon Window seen from the exterior (I would so have liked to have seen it from inside the church) - it is a very unusual shape to find in a church and it is believed to be the only one in Europe. It was re-discovered in 1867 during renovations of the North aisle. It is believed it was walled up by locals at the time Puritans were destroying some items in churches.




At this stage I was approached by a man with a dog - apparently he always bought the dog along to warn off suspicious characters seen in the churchyard!! I am not sure how suspicious a 60 something woman with a limp (my hip was playing up!) and a camera looked!!! However, he was very friendly and I discovered why the church was closed.


Apparently it was a bit of a mess inside as they were having central heating installed otherwise he would have let me in to have a look round inside. I complimented him on all the wild flowers in the churchyard and was told it was of necessity rather than choice. But to me it was lovely to find a churchyard full of wild flowers and birds so I do hope they don't one day re-commence a strict mowing regime.



The West Door







A weathered Green Man??







Possible marks made by Roundhead soldiers during the English Civil War when they were sharpening arrows.


As usual there was an item I missed - there is apparently a bier house containing a Victorian bier cart (used to transport coffins) somewhere along the church walls.





Hopefully, when the church is re-opened I can go back and see the interior of the church.


Information from Church Facebook page

All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


12 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I loved seeing the unmown churchyard, with only the verges cleared, so good for wildlife. It makes me think that this is how our churchyard must have looked in late Victorian days when my Great Grandfather kept the churchyard grounds. Today, they have a team of men with rider mowers, for it is a big churchyard and manicured within an inch of its life for the thousands of visitors annually.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

ooops, hit enter by accident. Wanted to say you will have to go back to find the bier house. My cottage is built in a former field that once was home to the local horse drawn hearse and horses.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thanks so much. I just love finding churchyards like that but sadly as you say so many are manicured to within an inch of their life :( Although I think there is a growing movement to leave areas for wildlife especially among the older graves. I think sometimes there is a problem as some parishioners believe they have to have a neat, tidy and manicured churchyard :(

You have probably heard of them but there is an organisation called Caring for God's Acre that is doing so much to encourage churchyards friendly for wildlife. And if you ever see it secondhand (as now out of print) Francesca Greenoak book "Wildlife in the Churchyard - the Plants and Animals of God's Acre" is just delightful :)

Tbh man with dog off lead somewhat sidetracked me which is why I forgot about the bier but I will go back. Have looked at satellite google maps and all my photos but can't see where it could be.That is so interesting to hear about where your cottage is built :) Lovely to have a house with history :)

Rosie said...

It looks an interesting church and churchyard, I'm glad it hasn't been over mown and that there are plenty of wildlife areas. You will have to go back when all the work on the interior has been done. Interesting to know the new thinking on what we knew as 'leper's squints' ideas change over the years -I'm just getting used to BCE and CE instead of BC and AD - I can see the idea about the handbell to summon those close by in the fields rather than ringing the church bell if they had one. I've enjoyed your post, have a lovely weekend:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thank you. I was really pleasantly surprised by the churchyard - you could actually have been miles from anywhere instead of in a city.

A lot of church guidebooks still make reference to leper's squints - perhaps they were written years ago? Totally confused over BCE and CE and naughtily I still use BC and Ad!! So much easier to remember! :)

I will try and return when work finished as I would like to see the interior - trouble is list of churches to revisit is getting longer! Just remembered I meant to return to the one at Meriden!

Rosie said...

I didn't know about the BCE and CE change until recently when I heard it on an archaeological tv programme and also read in in an Elly Griffiths Ruth Galloway novel. I admit I still use pounds and ounces when cooking but do know 200grams is about 8 ounces so work it out from there!:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - I had vaguely heard of it - I really must apply it in future when I have taught myself which is which! I had to get to grips with metric when helping my children with schoolwork and then for my OU degree! Do use grams in baking and recipes but I still feet use inches and yards more than metres, centimetres and millimetres!

Caroline Gill said...

I love the way you keep an eye out for so many different things, RR, when you visit a church! It's lovely when a balance is kept in churchyards, keeping everyone happy: I recall some very overgrown (and faint) family graves, and wishing the access was easier, having travelled a long way to see them. Thankfully David's epigraphy skills came in use as the light faded away! Being married to an archaeologist, I can't get away with the old terminology - but I still find BC and AD so much easier! Low Side Windows is a term I have not encountered before: it does sound more p.c. if not particularly memorable. I wonder if there is actual documentation (presumably, as opposed to hearsay) of those affected by skin diseases being kept at bay in some English churches.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. To be honest I did research the church before went so I knew what to look for!! Also one book I have on churches explains what to look for on the outside!

Much as I love wildlife churchyards I can appreciate it must have been a trifle irritating to find it difficult to access old family graves especially after travelling a long way! I need to go back to the church at Burford and look for some of my grandmother's family graves - I couldn't find them last time!

Before Christ and After Death is how I remember them!

Yes Low Side Windows do sound more pc but as you say not very memorable - in fact a trifle boring!!! I am not sure about documentary evidence re: those with skin disorders - I suspect it may have been supposition but that is guesswork on my part! A lot of church guide books still refer to them by the old term which is how I got caught out!

Caroline Gill said...

Thank you, RR, for your response - so interesting as ever and making me wanting to pursue new lines of thought!

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thank you so much for your lovely comment. New lines of thought sounds interesting :) I am currently developing a new passion for pilgrims' routes and holy wells :) Always good to have a new interest(s) and learn new things :)

CherryPie said...

The churchyard and external features are a delight. Hopefully you will be able to visit the interior soon.