Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 3 April 2019

A Brief Visit to Packwood House Gardens


After looking round the churchyard at St Giles I had a quick look round the gardens at Packwood House which are only about a mile from the church.



Unfortunately the daffodils which line the side of the lane were past their best but plenty were still in flower around the house.





The ditches in the grass verges are always full of flowering Lesser Celandine at this time of year.














I can't remember the name of this plant but I do know it is much loved by bees. Sadly, the one I bought and planted at home never survived.




The Yellow Border in the Walled Garden








The Sunken Garden


























The Kitchen Garden











I managed to resist buying this but I did come home with a plant I've been after for ages - an Erysimum Bowles Mauve (an everlasting wall flower)





Packwood is a lovely place to visit at any time of the year even if it is always teeming with people.


All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera

7 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Another interesting visit. Sometimes I can't help wonder why March isn't called Yellow Month, as this time of year it really is a dominant force of colour.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

The daffodils made have been fading but there was still a lot in bloom and a looking garden to wander around

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin -
Thanks so much and yes you are right it should be called the Yellow Month :)

Margaret Birding for Pleasure - Thank you - Packwood always looks good whatever the season.

Amanda Peters said...

Beautiful to see all the flower, noted while out on my bike the amount now flowering in the hedgerows.
Love the buildings at this place and the walled gardens. Been lovely looking at your photos.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much. It is so lovely to see wild flowers starting to appear in the hedgerows - I just love Spring :)

CherryPie said...

We visited recently too. Part of the grounds were off limits due to muddy ground.

We still enjoyed our visit :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you - parts were closed of when I visited too. I think they often are at this time of the year to protect the grass?