Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 8 March 2019

Parish Church of St Mary and St Bartholomew, Hampton in Arden





Last Saturday I went along to a Vintage and Antique Fair being held in the village hall at Hampton in Arden. I was hoping I might be able to buy a vintage jug but there were only a couple on sale and neither really appealed. To be honest all the china, old books and jewellery reminded me of sorting through my mum's personal items and I didn't stay long.

I had taken my camera and decided to have a look round the churchyard of St Mary and St Bartholomew. I've only ever been in the church once when my grandfather married his second wife about 45 years ago! Unexpectedly too the church was actually open - apologies for the huge amount of photos but there was some beautiful stained glass in the church some of it with a natural history theme which I found delightful.








The wildflower garden looked as though it had been taken over by brambles but there were a lot of wild flowers blooming throughout the churchyard.





Many of the graves had fresh flowers placed on them.






There were some interesting gravestones with birds and flowers engraved on them.














Wild flowers included Primroses, Lesser Celandine and Daisies and Daffodils are now flowering profusely.

















Even the drain pipes were interesting!




I often find angels as memorials in churchyards a trifle unsettling (they always remind me of those frightening Weeping Angels in Doctor Who!!) but this must be the most beautiful angel I have ever seen.












The porch and inner entrance door are around 400 years old.



I found this memorial window in the porch with its wild flowers and butterflies so charming.




Another window in the porch contains stained glass images of the church and village.










This is the escapement of the original church clock.



St Mary and St Bartholomew - sorry not the best of photos!





Some of the nave dates back to the 13th century but it was altered over the centuries. The pillars are Norman. The Tower was added to the nave in the 15th century. It used to have a spire but this was blown down in a storm in 1643. The tower now contains 8 bells which were brought from the church of St John, Manchester in 1976.







This beautiful window in memory of a young girl illustrates the canticle called the Benedicite. "O all ye works of the Lord - bless ye the Lord". The window images include daffodils, lambs, a hare or a rabbit etc. The window is one of several modern windows in the church made by Miss Nora Yoxall (1892-1998) and Miss Elsie Whitford (1897 - 1992) who were graduates of the Birmingham School of Art. They took up stained glass almost by chance and worked together for decades designing and making their own windows. From 1949 they worked from a small studio in Blockley, near Chipping Campden.


















This window depicts the the death and resurrection of Christ and also shows the bombing of Coventry Cathedral in 1940. The Resurrection Window depicts Sir Jacob Epstein's sculpture of St Michael's victory over the devil which is outside the new Coventry Cathedral built in the 1960's.







And now for another lovely window with wild flowers and plants. Someone on Twitter kindly told me that the inscription was coined in the 12th century by Abbess Hildegard of Bingen. She is considered to be the founder of scientific natural history in Germany and the Veriditas describes the divine healing power transferred from plants and flowers. She lived between ~1098 and 1179 and was a German Benedictine Abbess, writer, composer, philosopher, christian mystic and visionary. She sounds a fascinating woman and don't you wish sometimes you could travel back in time and meet people?


















The carved wooden rood screen was given in memory of Sir Frederick Peel, son of the Prime Minister Robert Peel who founded the police force. Sir Frederick lived in Hampton Manor and St Mary and St Bartholomew was his parish church. Above the screen is a carved representation of Christ on the cross with Mary his mother and St John.







This modern stained glass window by John Hayward shows the risen Christ bringing light to the souls of the dead.



The choir is the oldest part of the building and was part of the Norman church built ~1130.




This window is dedicated to the memory of a former verger and sexton who is seen cutting the grass in the churchyard.




The top of this window contains some of the oldest surviving fragments of glass in the church put together in the tracery. Below are sketches of birds copied in the 1920's from 15th century windows in the Commandery at Worcester.















The East Window was given in memory to Sir Frederick Peel's first wife in 1904. The theme is Christ in Glory. Beneath are representations of men and women who have worshipped God in song and verse.














This is a rare heart tomb where the heart of a medieval knight, possibly a crusader, is believed to be buried.


Shields of families who have been Lord of the Manor are displayed around the nave. Sadly, I only took a photo of one but considering the number of photos it is probably just as well!!



Norman carvings round the tops of Norman pillars




One of the pillars contains carved stone heads of 14th century Hamptonians - I think this may be one in the photo below? The church was quite dark and it was difficult getting photos of these.



Stone carvings in the tower - again it was hard to get a picture because of the angle and lack of light!







I had taken some photos of the carvings around the exterior of the porch and it wasn't until I got home that I realised one was a Green Man (thanks Amanda for confirming) :) If I go back again I will try and get a better photo now I know he is here.








Finally, a few photos of the village as I walked back to the car.







All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera

Reference - Leaflet in the church
and many many thanks to the Rector who came into the church while I was there and kindly showed me many features I would otherwise have missed.


24 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think you have totally abandoned "Nature Notes." I cannot remember when you last did one!

Ragged Robin said...

David Gascoigne - Thank you for leaving a comment. As I have mentioned before if some of my blog posts are not of interest to you then please just read the ones entirely based on natural history.

In this particular post nature did play a role, albeit a minor one, in that there are photos of wild flowers. As well as enjoying wildlife "in the field" I also enjoy reading poetry on the subject and seeing it depicted in art, sculpture, stained glass and even on gravestones. My interests are varied and these days my blog reflects this.

Rosie said...

What a splendid church. I'm glad you were able to see inside. The windows are particularly stunning especially the ones in the porch and the leaded ones with the copies of the little mediaeval birds in, they remind me of the birds in one of the large bay windows in the 15th century hall I used to work in. I love all the referencesto to flora and fauna in the memorials both inside and out and also the spring flowers in the churchyard:)

hart said...

Thanks for the tour of the church. I loved the photos.

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. I hadn't expected it to be open to be honest which is why I spent so much time looking round the churchyard!

The little medieval birds were great - so glad you liked them. It has made me want to visit the Commandery in Worcester! It must have been a wonderful experience to work in a 15th century hall :)

Hart - Thanks so much - so pleased you enjoyed the tour and photos :)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

You are like me, quite eclectic in your posts and I love that. That way we or those who read and see them do not get bored. I love all the wild flowers and I have still to see Primroses myself so lovely to see your photographs. Now the windows and some have to do with nature) are FABULOUS. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Ragged Robin said...

Margaret Adamson - Thanks so much Margaret for your very kind words :) I do hope you see some Primroses soon and I am glad you liked the photos :) Have a wonderful weekend too.

Greg said...

I, too, find the variation in topics on your blog to be very enjoyable. I've found your recent photos of various church features, particularly stained glass windows, most interesting.

Ragged Robin said...

Greg - Thank you so much for leaving such a kind comment and it is always good to hear when people enjoy posts and find them interesting :)

The Quacks of Life said...

ooh I love that window in the porch!!! thanks for sharing that !!

Ragged Robin said...

Pete Duxon - Thanks Pete - it was stunning - never seen anything quite like it before! If you ever return to St John the Baptist, Berkswell - it is only about 10 minutes from there by car.

Rosie said...

We visited the Worcester Commandery on my birthday in 2015. The 15th century wall paintings discovered in the 1930s are wonderful. I hope you get to visit one day, there is an interesting house in the centre too with a courtyard garden, I think it is looked after by the National Trust:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - What a wonderful place to visit for you birthday. I will see if I can find your post in a minute. The wall paintings sound rather good :)

We've been twice to the Victorian Christmas Fayre at Worcester but that left little time for doing much else! although on the first visit I managed to look round the cathedral but not properly - I seem to remember I had a nasty cold at the time :( Hopefully will try and go again and see The Commandery and I think the house might by Greyfriars?? and perhaps a longer visit to the cathedral. Not too far from here but of course it depends on what the dreaded M5 is like!! Thanks so much for the info on the wall paintings :)

CherryPie said...

The church looks really interesting. The windows and the statues outside are beautiful.

How lovely that you had a guided tour by the Rector.

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you so much. It was quite a gem of a church and very kind of the Rector to tell me about some of the items in the church :)

Pam said...

It's a beautiful church, gravestones always fascinate me, did people have a love of birds/nature or were they just generic pictures that people had to choose from?!

Bovey Belle said...

What a fascinating church - I don't recall ever seeing such beautiful stained glass with wild flowers and pictures of a village before.

I really enjoy your varied posts - I think most of us post about what we see as we go about our lives and dabble in many different and varied interests.

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you. I suspect it may be generic pictures to choose from as many designs you see again and again but to be honest not 100% sure.

Bovey Belle - Thank you. The stained glass was totally unexpected well to be honest the church being open was as well! The windows in the porch particularly were just so beautiful.

Thank you too for the kind words. When I first started blogging it was meant to be just about nature in the garden and on reserves etc but then it seemed a shame not to share days out, villages, gardens and buildings, churches etc with other people. I know how much I enjoy seeing places people visit in different parts of the country - many of which I may never have chance to visit.

Amanda Peters said...

Wow what a wonderful church, the windows are stunning. Love the photos of the graves and wild flowers, a suspect they are feeling a little windswept now and rather wet! The Angel is amazing but a little creepy if you stare at it to long, thanks to Dr Who. I have the same feeling about shop dummies after a Tom Baker episode on Dr Who when I was a kid.

Another great blog with great photos...
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much Amanda. It is teeming down with rain here at present so I suspect they are looking for bedraggled! Amazing how those Dr Who "monsters" can affect you! I've never posted a picture of the creepiest angel sculpture I once found in a local church!

Rohrerbot said...

I can't wait to visit this area. So pretty. I love all the bulbs starting to pop up from the ground. It looks rainy though!

Ragged Robin said...

Chris Rohrer - Thanks so much. Yes it is rainy at the moment but next week looks better! Some of the towns and villages over here are so lovely and stuffed full of history :) How long are you coming over for and where do you plan to visit??

Rohrerbot said...

I am getting one week. I'm doing a lecture somewhere in Wales and then we are birdwatching nonstop over the whole country. I don't know what to expect. I think we'll be doing much of our birdwatching in or around Wales.....I think:)

Ragged Robin said...

Chris Rohrer - Good Luck with the lecture :) It will be a busy week I would imagine with lots of birding. Wales has mountains and coastline and many wonderful birds especially the Red Kites. Will be interesting to see if you go to Anglesey as we have booked our main holiday there this year and I can't wait! I haven't been to the island since I was a child (two holidays) and a teenager (school geography 5 day field trip for A level!).