Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 24 February 2019

Easton Walled Gardens - Snowdrop Week










*D



We navigated our way from Bottesford to Easton Walled Gardens (with the help of the trusty falling to bits atlas and some directions from the Gardens Website) without any problems. Apparently using satnav to get there is not a good idea as satnavs try and take you in off the A1 which is not possible!!

We saw several Red Kites on the journey including one perched in a tree- D still hasn't forgiven me for just slowing down rather than stopping as he failed to get a photo!

Much as I love seeing snowdrops in local churchyards and NT gardens I decided this year I would like to go somewhere new to see them en masse and I saw a small article in Sainsbury's magazine on Easton Walled Gardens and their snowdrop week. It appeared ideal as it was only 90 minutes from home (at this stage I had not factored in long stretches of roadworks on the M6 or getting lost!)




Easton Manor has been the home of the Cholmeley family since 1592 and the estate and gardens are still managed by the same family.

In 1951 Easton hall was demolished and some of the remains can be seen in parts of the garden. From this date attempts were made to keep the gardens going by supplying local markets with fruit, vegetables and flowers but gradually the gardens were abandoned and self sown trees, nettles, brambles and ivy took over.

Restoration by the family began in 2001 and since 2004 half a mile of hedging has been planted, 20,000+ bulbs and each year over 60 varieties of sweet pea are grown.






The garden contains a yew walk, meadows, woodland, orchard, vegetable beds, a pickery (a cut flower garden) and a cottage garden. There is an 80 metre mixed border and a white space garden (with symbols reflecting the universe). The Cholmeleys are particularly keen to create habitat for wildlife. On this visit we did not have time to go all round the gardens but just concentrated on the areas where snowdrops were growing. I think it would be well worth a visit in the summer to see the sweet peas and flowers.




*D


*D


*D






















As we had had no lunch we went to the tearoom early on. Unfortunately they had stopped serving lunches so had to make do with Coffee and Walnut cake!




*D


*D


The snowdrop displays in the woodland were wonderful.













The River Witham runs through the garden














*D


*D


We walked through another area of woodland with more snowdrops, a carpet of winter aconites, hellebores and the first daffodils of the year I had seen in flower.































































There was a very good botanical art exhibition - I did treat myself to an etching of a bee and the sun - some of the paintings of bees were just superb.

I also treated myself to snowdrop and aconite plants, some sweet pea seeds and D bought me a rather lovely handcrafted badger.










We came home via Melton Mowbray and eventually the motorways - this time I didn't miss the M69!! although I did manage to go in the wrong direction along an A road for several miles at one point!!

It was a lovely day out and the church and gardens are highly recommended if you are within easy travelling distance or visiting the area.


*D Photos taken by my son with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera

Rest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330



14 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

All of these spring flowers make me just a tad envious. We are a few weeks away yet. Yesterday, however, I saw the first migrant American Robin, so a good sign.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

The snowdrops and the aconite here have gone over their best now

CherryPie said...

Beautiful photographs of the snowdrops.

The coffee and walnut cake is tempting my tastebuds. It is while since I have seen it on offer in the places that I have visited.

Timothy looks like he is having fun :-)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I have never seen so many Snowdrops planted in one place before Fabulous

Rosie said...

What a wonderful garden, all those spring flowers have made me smile this morning. I can see now why we had never visited Easton Gardens when we lived in Lincolnshire as the time we were there early 80s to mid 90s they probably wouldn't have been open for visitors. It's great that they have been restored. I love the snowdrops in the hanging baskets. Like your purchases and the lovely badger gift too:)

Ragged Robin said...

David Gascoigne - Thank you and I am sure it won't be long before you start seeing Spring flowers and it is good news on the first migrant :)

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thank you - I went to a local churchyard yesterday and the snowdrops had gone over.

CherryPie - Thank you. The cake was very nice and fresh. Timothy was relieved to get out my bag!

Margaret Adamson - Thank you - the display was superb.

Rosie - Thank you. And the timing would have made sense over why you never visited. They have certainly made a super job of the restoration. I was rather taken with the snowdrops in hanging baskets idea too :)

Pam said...

I love the hanging baskets, they look fantastic! It's good to read they are creating wildlife habitat and not just going for 'pretty' gardens to draw in the crowds! What a shame you had to buy cake..........

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you. The hanging baskets idea is one to think of copying :) Yes such a shame about the cake I was devastated! :)

Caroline Gill said...

Well, what a beautiful place, RR, though I'm sorry you had a tricky journey. The Snowdrops are utterly incredible - I have never seen anything like the swathes in your pictures. Timothy seems to have enjoyed his expedition, though I guess he may have felt a bit warm during the afternoon: it was certainly very mild and sunny in Cambridgeshire. I'm intrigued by the picture/symbol of giraffes on the map: are there really giraffes there, I wonder?

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thank you so much. Journey forgotten now - just remember the good bits! :

Timothy is certainly too warm at the moment and wants to know why his scarf hasn't been removed! :)
My son spotted the giraffes too - I didn't see any - perhaps it is a "tongue in cheek" thing?

Amanda Peters said...

It all looks amazing and very beautiful, the snowdrops have been so good this year. Love the hanging baskets, a great place to get some Spring ideas for your garden.
You reminded me to go look at the Winter aconites, at Caring for life farm. The only place in this area I have ever seen any, do you have some in your garden?
Love the photo of the bridge over the stream, I do hope you go back in the summer. You will not miss the turning !
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much. I was very taken with the hanging baskets - hence the number of photos!!
I have planted winter aconites before in the garden but they disappeared :( slugs? Hope to have more success with the one I bought at Easton.
I would like to go back and see the border with universe symbols and the sweet peas! I don't think I will miss the M69 again! - still haven't lived it down here!!

Rohrerbot said...

Lots to say about this post. First, slowing down is a MUST when you see beautiful Red Kites:)Second, the dessert looks amazing. Third, the countryside blanketed by white flowers looks amazing. AND I love the hanging pots of plants at the entrance!

Ragged Robin said...

Chris Rohrer - Thanks so much. So wish I had stopped by the Red Kite now :) Glad you enjoyed the snowdrops and hanging pots :)