Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 27 April 2018

Garden Flowers, Theatre and Cake




A few photos from a walk around my garden in the sunshine last week - it finally feels as though Spring has arrived! :)


There are quite a few dandelions in flower and B is under strict instruction from me not to remove them as they are so good for pollinating insects at this time of year.



Honesty



We have a few clumps of Lungwort scattered around the garden.



Bumble bee on Grape Hyacinths


Violets



We have a lot of Bluebells in the garden - the Spanish bluebells were already here when we moved in but we also have some of the native variety.



Log pile in the woodland area at the top of the garden. We first created it years ago when we did have Hedgehogs in the garden although I am not sure if they ever used it but it is still good for beetles and other insects.



Several years ago I planted some Garlic Mustard seeds in the wild flower mini meadow hoping if they came up they would attract Orange Tip Butterflies as they are a larva food plant. I was thrilled when a few plants appeared but sadly after the first year they just disappeared. I was thrilled last week to find not a few but over 40 Garlic Mustard plants in the woodland area so I suspect those first few plants spread seed.




Interestingly, we also have Lady's Smock or Cuckoo Flower in the garden - another larval food plant for Orange Tips. However, they ignored these plants and a couple of years ago laid eggs on Honesty!

Wild Primroses



Flowering Currant




Nettles in the nettle patch - allowed to flourish again to attract butterflies although I have to admit we keep them in one or two areas only.



Wood Anemone or Wind Flower


Wood Sorrel - these first appeared last year and I really have no idea how they arrived as, as far as I can remember, we have never planted any but again I am thrilled to have this species in the garden.




Cowslips are spreading all round the garden.



Camellia





Last Saturday D and I went to Birmingham Rep to see "This House" - which was excellent and highly recommended if you live in England and it comes to a theatre near you.





Finally, a carrot cake I made recently. It is an ancient BBC Good Food recipe and I can't find it online to give you a link.








15 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am very impressed with the way you have geared your garden to aid pollinators and generally have created wildlife habitat in your backyard. If only we could transform suburbia in this manner, what a difference it would make. Kudos to you.

Rohrerbot said...

It looks beautiful over there. Nice sunny days. Carrot cake is MY favorite! On my birthday, we always celebrated with one of my two favorites.....carrot cake OR pumpkin pie. But carrot cake is, hands down, the best!

Ragged Robin said...

David Gascoigne - Thank you so much. Over the last 40 years we have tried to create a wildlife friendly garden and it has been very rewarding. I agree if only more would do it. So many gardens near me have hardly any trees or flowers just massive lawns, decking and sheds and outbuildings :( Such a wasted opportunity.

Chris Rohrer - Thanks so much. Yes, I love carrot cake too - I think it is my favourite and I have finally converted my daughter!!! :)

Rosie said...

You have some wonderful plants and flowers in your garden, love the primroses, violets and cowslips as they remind me of my childhood and nature walks from school into the woods and fields. I love the wood anemone and wood sorrel too. We have loads of violets this year, also wild garlic and dendelions too. The play sounds interesting and your carrot cake looks delicious:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - thank you :) yes the wild flowers that you mention always remind me of my childhood - my paternal grandparents were from the countryside and taught me so much and nurtured my love of nature :) I am very envious of your wild garlic as it is one of my favourites - I must look into seeing where I can buy some. My son and I were saying we should start going to the theatre more often (we miss the time when he used to get free tickets!) but I so enjoyed the performance.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Honesty has invaded our drive garden etc area this year, some lovely clumps of it. All our violets are over, but soon the cemetery will be white with saxifrage

Ragged Robin said...

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thanks Simon. Honesty is a great flower :) It is a lovely time of year - wave after wave of flowering species. I love April and May :)

Glasgow Birder said...

Well done Caroline. I wish more people would "garden" to benefit wildlife.

Midmarsh John said...

Your bluebells look well on. Mine are growing well but some time away from flowering.

Ragged Robin said...

Dean Stables - Thank you and yes I agree about other people and their gardens.

Midmarsh John - Thank you - our bluebells have only just started flowering.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

My lawn and other areas are, right now, yellow with dandelions and will stay that way, despite my part time neighbour who is a country living wannabe demanding that I deadhead those "yellow flowers". I laughed and walked away! Thanks for saving me some carrot cake!

Pam said...

So many lovely plants in your garden! I wish I had the space for more!

Ragged Robin said...

Deborah O'Brien - Thank you - I had to laugh about your neighbour :) Just got back from a few days in Wales and the verges were full of dandelions, primroses, cowslips, lady's smock, wood anemones and garlic mustard - a wonderful sight :) Hope you enjoyed the Cake.

Pam - Thanks Pam. I keep wanting B to dig up huge amounts of the first big lawn now D and E are grown up to make more room here!! :)

Caroline Gill said...

What a beautiful cake! I don't think I have ever seen carrots on a cake before - great idea! Your garden must look beautiful with its flowers and wildlife. There was quite a lot of Lady's Smock at Wicken Fen nature reserve two weeks ago, and I had meant to ask if it was natural (as opposed to planted to attract butterflies). Our nettle patch is suddenly growing at a slightly alarming rate: like you, we like to have nettles, but not to be taken over by them! The hoverflies seem to out in force. Wonder when I will see my first dragon or damsel...

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thank you so much. The recipe I use tells you to make the little carrots out of roll-out coloured icing (a trifle consuming and it was just as cheap to buy some ready done!). I love Lady's Smock - I see a lot if I got to Baddesley Clinton churchyard in May. We planted ours in the garden for Orange Tips but sadly it is another plant that has not re-appeared! OH does keep nettle area firmly under control! Haven't seen too many hoverflies about yet and as you say not long now until first dragons :)