Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 7 November 2017

Letocetum, Wall, Staffordshire








When D and E were little I was always trying to find ideas for local inexpensive days out in the school holidays and the Roman ruins at Wall were always on the list but somehow it was one of those places we never got round to visiting. D and I rectified that last Sunday when we went to have a look at Letocetum.



This Jubilee Milestone by the car park was erected by people living in Wall Parish to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of the Queen in 2012.



Wall once had a milestone dating back to Roman times which was located in a field at Chesterfield Farm near the Junction of Watling and Ryknild streets. The pillar was lost possible as a result of agricultural improvement in the 1970's although a fragment of a similar stone can be seen in the museum.


Signs of Halloween around the village.







Wall or Letocetum was an important staging post (where soldiers, messengers and Roman officials could stay overnight and change horses) located on Watling Street which was an important Roman Military Road. The Roman 14th Legion had erected a fortress here in AD50 in the hill behind the present church. This was replaced by a succession of smaller forts all abandoned by AD 130. During the end of the first century AD Letocetum had been constructed at the side of the road.

The ruins today consist of the remains of baths, hot and cold rooms, changing room, exercise hall, courtyard and The Mansio (or inn).













The ruins really did have a superb atmosphere - it was one of those magical places where you could almost sense the presence of (in this case) Romans from all those centuries ago.










If you click on the photos of the information boards to enlarge them hopefully you will be able to read all about the various ruins.























Plants and Mosses in Walls



*D



The church of St John the Baptist looks interesting - I am not sure if it was open or not.














The Street name "The Butts" has its origins in archery. Archery was important in medieval times and in the 15th century Edward IV stipulated that it was compulsory for archery practice to take place on Sundays. Each village had to set up butts (a target for the arrows or a pile of earth behind so that badly aimed arrows could land safely) and roads with this name will be at or near the archery practice site.


I enjoy doing Heritage Walks round villages so we hope to return next Spring




when the museum is also open.






Afterwards we popped into Lichfield which is only a few miles away but I will save that for another post later this week.

*D Photo taken by D with the Canon Bridge Camera


8 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I always enjoy tagging along, you visit some very interesting places, and give a good history of what you've seen. Love the mossy pictures.
I had to smile, when I saw 'Wall' I immediately thought of Stardust by Neil Gaiman! What am I like?

Ragged Robin said...

Deborah RusticPumpkin - Thanks so much :)

Oh gosh yes re: Stardust! I am amazed my son didn't think of that too because he is a huge Gaiman fan - we once went to Oxford to hear him give a talk with Phillip Pullman at Oxford Playhouse. I remember getting a blurred photo of son with Gaiman (light was low and I was told not to use flash!!) when he queued for autograph. I don't think my son has ever forgiven me for taking such a rotten photo!!!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Thanks for drawing my attention to this great looking little site! Forts are often where our most vivid history is found, witness the Vindolanda tablets.

Ragged Robin said...

Simon Douglas Thompson -Thanks so much Simon. Oh the Vindolanda tablets are brilliant - my son saw them at the British Museum I think. Roman Baths in Bath are good too and there is a Roman place on the Isle of Wight at Brading which is superb. I do love all the history you can find in this country wherever you look :)

Rosie said...

I have a vague memory of being taken to a place down a country road to a spot where Watling Street met Ryknild Street. Wall is a great visit and it's good you were finally able to get there, it looks like a good village heritage walk too. Looking forward to your post on Lichfield, I love the Cathedral and also the Johnson and Darwin houses.I must look to see if the Cathedral has a Christmas Tree Festival this year:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much. It is only 30 minutes from here by car so I am not sure why we haven't been before.

Lichfield is lovely - we went to the Cathedral Shop to stock up on Advent Candles as they have a good selection there. Sadly didn't go round Cathedral (a service was on and access restricted) - one day will go back perhaps mid-week as I only ever had a brief look round and I would like to see Angel! Went to the Johnson House in the past with my daughter - very good and this time we managed the Darwin House. The cathedral shop gave me a leaflet on Christmas Events and yes there is a Christmas Tree Festival :) Sat 2nd Dec to Wed 3rd January - although might be best to check their website if you are thinking of going to check out when services and concerts etc are on.

Rosie said...

Thanks very much that's good to know. I will check the website for services etc before we go:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - It should be good :) When we've been to the Worcester Victorian Fayre the last few Christmas's and been in the Cathedral it has been too early for their's but I have been to Christmas Tree festivals at a couple of local churches and they were lovely :)