Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 18 June 2017

Nature Scavenger Hunt




Amanda Peters from "The Quiet Walker" spotted a piece on Pinterest about doing a Nature Scavenger Hunt. Please see here Hope the link works -
unfortunately I am not a member of Pinterest so am unable to let the person know I am taking part but I think Amanda may be participating and also Pam from "Pam's Place".



Nature Scavenger Hunt

I have used a bit of "poetic licence" with some of the subjects as you will see!!



Something Fuzzy

I find "fuzzy" difficult to define but this is my contribution





Two Kinds of Seeds

Common Sorrel and Ribwort Plantain in the garden mini wildflower meadow




Two pieces of man-made litter

The first are pots and plant trays and will be recycled and used again. The second is D's old Lara Croft Tomb Raider litter bin and I really do have no idea at all what it is doing in the garden!





Something Straight



Something Round

A gypsy flower



Something Smooth

Pebbles on the Bridleway at Southfields Farm - smoothish!!




Something Rough

Bark - Silver Birch



Two Different Types of Leaves

Holly and Acer




Something which makes a noise

These broom seeds will make a noise in a few weeks when they have dried out and start to disperse their seeds.



A chewed leaf



A Beautiful Rock

This piece of Wenlock Limestone is from my fossil collection. It is around 420 million years old laid down in the Silurian Period when the West Midland was covered by warm shallow, tropical seas. I love the amount of fossils in this rock and the way that it has captured the organisms in a moment of geological time.



Something that you think is beautiful

I just love Sweet Williams so reminiscent of cottage gardens and my grandmother's in particular.



A pine cone

Or rather several! This arrangement is in a copper jug on a fireplace.



Something Green

Lady's Mantle



A stick

or in my case a collection of sticks on the floor of the mini wood at the top of the garden.




Something you think is a treasure

Garden mini wildflower meadow. There is always something new in flower when you wonder up the garden and at this time of year it is full of insects.



Many thanks to the person on pinterest for suggesting such a lovely idea.

7 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

What a fun thing to do ~ and they don't come much greener than Ladies' Mantle!

Ragged Robin said...

Deborah RusticPumpkin -Thanks so much and yes it was fun :)

Rosie said...

Great idea to do a Scavenger Hunt just for nature, I used to enjoy participating in the Photo Scavenger Hunt organised a few years ago. Your photos are great, the pebbles at first glance look like birds eggs in the dust. Love the fossil and the sweet williams, the Lady's mantle is looking very green at the momnet but it won't be long before it goes all yellow and dusty looking:}

Bovey Belle said...

That's a great idea. If I wasn't struggling to stay awake I would do that. Perhaps tomorrow.

I have lots of Alchemilla mollis here too - though it is such a thug and self-seeds all over the place.

Your wildflower meadow looks beautiful. I am Rose Central here at the moment as my ramblers are out as well as the other roses (I have 20 or so David Austin roses - some in tubs, hopeful of moving with us - should we ever find a buyer).

Pam said...

Fantastic, I shall post mine tomorrow evening :) The Tomb Raider bin made me laugh! The fossil is amazing, what a thing to have and I love the wildflower meadow, i'm trying to grow one too but it's not looking quite as good!

Amanda Peters said...

So glad you managed to join in , it was harder than I thought trying to find photos to fit the words, we have some similar photos.
The wildflower meadow looks so lovely and we sell a lot of Sweet Williams at work.
Have linked you in on my list.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much Rosie - your Photo Scavenger Hunt sounds like a lot of fun :) Love your description of my pebble photo :) The fossil is one of my favourites :)

Bovey Belle - Thanks so much. Sorry you are still have trouble sleeping - still have problems here too :( It is not good :(

Yes, I have noticed Lady's Mantle spreading rather!!

Your roses sound superb - we don't have very many mainly Dog Roses and I don't think I will have time this year to visit the Roses at Coughton Court.

Pam - Thanks Pam - look forward to seeing your post! I must ask son when I remember why the bin is in the garden!!! Our wildflower meadow dates back many years and goes through phases! We have a big problem in recent years with couch grass dominating hence the planting of lots of yellow rattle last year!!!

Amanda Peters - Thanks Amanda - as you will have seen I used a lot of licence with the words!!! Will read your post later - need to unpack!!! Thanks for linking me :)