Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 15 August 2012

A New Garden Moth Tick plus more Year Ticks

Saturday night's moth trapping session produced a completely new Garden "tick" and several new species for the year.

Completely new for the garden is this Pebble Hook-tip - a lovely looking moth. It seems a common species in Warwickshire and one I've always wanted to trap.

Pebble Hook-tip (Drepana falcataria)



New for the year were first of all two Common Carpets - usually these are very lively moths but for once they posed easily for the camera.



Secondly, this lovely Yellow Shell a beautifully coloured and marked moth which was very lively!



Also new for the year was this Dun-bar



Also in the trap were several pristine Straw Underwings - the hind wings on this moth are straw-coloured with a black border



Hopefully this is a Willow Beauty - I wonder if the photo I published previously was a Mottled Beauty



Common Footman



Garden Carpet - again and, for once, this moth posed well for the camera. Carpets, like pugs, are usually very very lively

Edit - Many thanks to Stewart for correcting my woeful id!!!:) This is a Spruce Carpet and new for the year :)



If any of the above id's are incorrect, as always, please let me know.

I'm not sure about the moth below - it looks a bit like a Single Dotted Wave but the shape looks completely wrong although it was a similar size.



I encouraged most of the micros to escape as I emptied the trap - there were dozens of them mainly pyralids - but I did pot a few which I am still working on - poor photos below.








Summary of Moths Trapped Saturday, 11th August

Minimum Temperature 12.4 degrees centigrade
8.30 p.m. until dawn
15w Actinic Skinner Trap

2111 Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (Noctua janthe) x 2

2107 Large Yellow Underwing (Noctua pronuba) x 8

1937 Willow Beauty (Peribatodes rhomboidaria) x 2

1713 Riband Wave (Idaea aversata) x 2

1738 Common Carpet (Epirrhoe alternata) x 2 NFY

2318 Dun-bar (Cosmia trapezina) x 1 NFY

2293 Marbled Beauty (Cryphia domestica) x 7

1728 Garden Carpet (Xanthorhoe fluctuata) x 1
Edit - Many thanks Stewart for you help this is a Spruce Carpet and NFY

1742 Yellow Shell (Camptogramma bilineata) x 1 NFY

2321 Dark Arches (Apamea monoglypha) x 1

2381 Uncertain (Hoplodrina alsines) x 3

2303 Straw Underwing (Thalpophila matura) x 4

1648 Pebble Hook-tip (Drepana falcataria) x 1 NFG

2343 Common Rustic (Mesapamea secalis) x 2

2050 Common Footman (Eilema lurideola) x 1

0656 Tachystola acroxantha x 2

Single-dotted Wave??????


9 comments:

Rob said...

The Pebble Hook-Tip has very shapely wings - I haven't seen a moth like that before. Nice one.

Stewart said...

Hi Caroline, your second garden carpet is a Spruce Carpet...

Ragged Robin said...

Rob - Many thanks! It is an unusual looking moth - am still rather over the moon with trapping one :)

Rohrerbot said...

That first pic has one cool looking moth! I've never seen wings like that before. They seem to be getting more interesting as the season gets going:) Keep those shots coming. I'mma learning:)

Ragged Robin said...

Hi Stewart - Many thanks again for the help :) Really am grateful and I will edit the post. I've made this mistake before I think :( so I've added a note to the "bible" to remind me to double check! Thanks again!

Rohrerbot - Many thanks :) Glad you are enjoying all the moths and thanks again for the link to the US moth/bug lady!

ShySongbird said...

Another good selection there Caroline. Well done on the 'new' Pebble Hook-tip, rather handsome I thought!

I recognised tha Common Carpet. I'm sure I have a photo of it somewhere, taken in daytime.

Ragged Robin said...

Shy Songbird - Hi Jan - Glad you liked the Pebble Hook-tip :)

Its interesting how many moths are day flying. The two I would love to see are Mother Shipton and a Hummingbird Hawkmoth! Have seen the latter but not in England.

Anonymous said...

What a beauty that first one is!

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Glad you like it - I've been hoping to catch one of these for ages - they are so distinctive!