Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 27 March 2012

Daffodils at Packwood House



One of the highlights of Spring every year for me is a trip to Packwood House, Near Lapworth, Warwickshire, to see the daffodil display.

There are thousands of daffodil flowers lining the banks on the lane approaching the House and yet more on the lawns surrounding the front of the house and gardens.

I've driven past several times recently but yesterday afternoon I took the camera to get some photos. Monday seemed a good day to visit as the house and gardens are closed and, as I hoped, there were far less people about! It was really warm and sunny - more like May than March!



























Daffodils are also known as Lent rose and Lent lily due to the time they flower. "Daffodil snow" is an expression which refers to a late fall of snow which arrives after the daffodils are in flower.

According to legend Persephone, whilst wearing white daffodil wreaths, was captured by Pluto and Pluto's touch changed the colour of the flowers to yellow.



Reference: "Discovering the Folklore of Plants" by Margaret Baker - Shire Classics.
I picked up this book last year at Osborne House on the Isle of Wight and it is full of fascinating facts about various plants, trees and flowers.

9 comments:

Dartford Warbler said...

What a wonderful, uplifting display that must have been. There is something so joyful about a "host of golden daffodils"!

Ragged Robin said...

Dartford Warbler - it was a wonderful sight and totally restored my spirits! I always think of the Wordsworth poem when I see daffodils en masse :D.

Rohrerbot said...

I would feel so happy driving, walking or riding through an area like this. I have never seen fields like this in nature. In people's gardens, yes. But not wild alongside a road. It's a painting that many people probably take for granted. I wouldn't. Thanks for sharing:)

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks Chris - so glad you enjoyed. I spent a long time just soaking in the sight. I saw a lady go riding past on horseback and thought what a lovely way to see the countryside. It made me want to take up horseriding again!

ShySongbird said...

No wonder it is a 'highlight' for you Caroline! What a glorious sight, I love Daffodils. The view along that lane is breathtaking and even more so in reality I'm sure. Beautiful photos! You picked a perfect day to visit them.

Thank you for the reply regarding the wildflower meadow, feet and inches is fine by me...shhh ;-)

Rob said...

Lovely photos. The daffodils here look great with bare trees, fences and red brick buildings in the distance.

My Mum used to have some white daffodils in the garden - presumably untouched by Pluto!

Ragged Robin said...

ShySongbird - many thanks for your lovely comments - so glad you enjoyed the photos.

Thanks for letting me know you picked up the wildflower meadow measurements! I would love to know if you decide to go ahead.

Rob - Many thanks - I'm so pleased you liked the pictures.

I bet your Mum's white daffodils looked wonderful too - even if untouched by Pluto!

Anonymous said...

Glorious pictures and a lesson in Classics, what more could I ask? Thank you!

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeapple - many thanks - its lovely that you liked the photos (and Classics!).