Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 21 November 2011

Signs of Autumn at the Gardens



I haven't had much to blog about recently as a bad cold meant I didn't feel much like going out. Bird-wise the garden here at home has been fairly quiet although goldfinch numbers are increasing up to a maximum of twelve and a pair of greenfinches have made a welcome return to the feeders. Sparrowhawk sorties are becoming more regular although I have yet to see her catch anything and we have an acrobatic magpie who is determined to hang onto the coconut to get beakfuls of fat.

I did pop along to Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens towards the end of last week and first of all here are a few pictures from around the Gardens

Green House



North-west Pier



North Orchard



Lower Wilderness



South Kitchen Garden and Summer House



There were still plenty of leaves showing autumn colours











And plenty of berries - not sure what the first ones are



but these are Spindle Tree berries



and plenty of holly as a reminder that Christmas is not far away.





There were several species of interesting looking toadstools - I am a complete novice at toadstool id so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I found these beautiful yellow toadstools (after a tip off from a friend) in the Secret Garden. Lots of record shots - are these by any chance yellow or golden waxcaps?









These tiny toadstools were growing on a grassy mound near the South-west Pier



The Stumpery and area near the South Pond had several different types. I think this is a bracket fungus but no idea what species.



There were loads of these grey toadstools - at a guess clouded agaric?????





The black spots on this sycamore leaf are tar spot fungus



I did see a couple of great spotted woodpeckers flying over - a new species for the Gardens Bird List.

St Mary and St Margaret's Church



I stopped off at the new Hotel to take a couple of photos



Not sure if I like all the hotel type signs - would have preferred them to be a bit more discreet! but its great to see this beautiful Hall lived in and used again

9 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

hope you are feeling better. I hate colds first one of the winter must be due here.
some nice autumnal pics!

Tricia Ryder said...

Well I have to agree with you about the intrusive hotel signs... pity they couldn't have a design more in keeping with the house..

and yellow toadstools... never seen yellow ones before...

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks Pete - after 12 days I think its finally nearly gone! Worst cold I've had for years. Oh well done, on your victory tonight -we were abysmal :D

I keep hoping the hotel signs are temporary Tricia! As you say, they don't go at all. The yellow toadstools were rather special.

Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens said...

Fantastic pictures yet again. This blog is an absolute joy. Many thanks and get well soon! :)

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comments :D and also for your help in locating toadstools! I would certainly have missed the "lemon disco" without your help!

Tricia Ryder said...

Sorry - meant to add - hope the cold goes quickly and you feel back on track again very soon.

Castle Bromwich Hall Gardens said...

Yep, showing my ludicrous ignorance there eh? ;)

With more leisurly contemplation I realise that the ones at the Gardens are probably a bit big to be Lemon Discos. Here's ths real thing:

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/loadimage.asp?did=21331&blockName=Bisporella%20citrina&contrib=yes

Pretty though... :)

Ragged Robin said...

Tricia - many thanks for your good wishes. I am loads better now thanks.

CBHG - The lemon disco's are beautiful (thanks for the link) - to my unpractised eye very similar to those at the Gardens :D. My new Collins Guide has arrived - still none the wiser to identifying any of them!

Ragged Robin said...

CBHG - Sorry forgot to say that I love your latest post on Father Christmas - visiting the Gardens - makes me wish I was 7 or 8 again!