Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 27 June 2011

And It Rained!

Day 3 - Monday, 20th June

Weather - still cold and it rained most of the day and evening!

We drove over to Ryde and visited the Waltzing Waters - a great 40 minute show of fountains in different colours synchronised to various types of music (classical and pop). They have been described as "liquid fireworks". Sorry no pics - cameras weren't allowed!

We then spent a couple of hours ten pin bowling.

Got back to the cottage early and spent the rest of the day reading (the cottage has a great selection of fossil and geology books and even a geological map of the island!) and watching Andy Murray in action at Wimbledon.

Highlight of the day was watching a family party of long-tailed tits foraging in trees in the garden. Too wet in the evening even to go looking for barn owls.


And shock, horror (:D) I have received a complaint that there were no photos yesterday of the donkeys at Carisbrooke When you see the rubbishograph below you will see why I didn't bother posting it!



Brian hoping for a strike at the bowling alley!

2 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

highlights of my trip to iow was
a peregrine
red squirrel
and the donkeys ;)

must try for that flutter next time!

Ragged Robin said...

I remember your peregrine sighting (with envy!) and the great photo(s) of the red squirrel - you did well to cover so much of the island and wildlife in a few days :D.

When you go again you must visit the Donkey Sanctuary too (I think I may have put you off last time!). I think the Glanville has a short flight period May/June but I stand to be corrected! I am sure you will see it before I do!!! Oh what a give away! I failed to see it YET AGAIN!!!