Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 2 December 2010

The Secret Garden and First Fieldfare

My son and I went to Birmingham Repertory Theatre on Tuesday night to see The Secret Garden - the Rep's Christmas production.

The play is a musical based on the novel by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I loved this book when I was a child and the Rep didn't disappoint with a magical play that followed the original story closely. The cast are excellent and there are some clever stage sets which switch effortlessly between the interior of the house to the secret garden.

It's the Rep's final show before they close their doors for two years whilst renovations to the theatre and the building of a new library take place and it was a truly fitting finale. I also rather enjoyed a warming glass of mulled wine and a hot mince pie at the interval!


Publicity photo for the play taken from the Birmingham Rep's website:





To change the subject entirely I saw my first fieldfare of the autumn this morning feeding with some redwings on hawthorn berries along a lane near Bickenhill, Solihull. Its taken a while to see my first fieldfare so perhaps there's hope where the elusive waxwings are concerned!!

1 comment:

Tricia Ryder said...

It's wonderful when a play or film closely follows the original book...and better still when it's well acted too.

Well done on the Fieldfare and Redwings.. lovely birds!