Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 23 May 2010

Magical Moths

At long last much warmer overnight temperatures have resulted in a far higher catch. I use a 15w Actinic Skinner trap to catch garden moths.

Catch Report for Thursday, 20th May, 2010
Minimum temperature 11.4 degrees centigrade

White Ermine 1
Green Carpet 1
Oak Hook Tip 1
Small Phoenix 1
Shuttle Shaped Dart 2
Heart and Dart 1
Flame Shoulder 1
Light Brown Apple Moth 2
Epiblema cynosbatella 1

All species are new for 2010 and all, except light brown apple moth, are new garden ticks.

I have posted below a few images to show the wonderful variety of moths. The photos are all heavily cropped as I do not have a macro lens for my digital slr and have to make do with the macro option on the standard lens. I am full of admiration for bloggers who get perfect images with moths posing on leaves and twigs. I just don't know how they do it. I rarely manage this as despite, chilling in the fridge, they become very active almost as soon as I get them out and can't wait to flutter off so some moth photos are taken when they are still in the container - not very aesthetic but at least I get a poor record shot!!





Flame Shoulder



Small Phoenix



Waved Umber




White Ermine

As mentioned in a previous post I have only been trapping garden moths since last August so if any of the above identifications are wrong, please feel free to correct me.

No comments: