Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 27 March 2019

Adderbury - Part 2 : Adderbury Lakes Nature Reserve



Once we had looked round the exterior of the church at Adderbury we decided to go in search of an early lunch. There was a choice of 3 pubs and we picked The Coach and Horses where the food was exceedingly good value!






The landlord, seeing our cameras, mentioned that we could get some good photos if we walked to Adderbury Lakes about 5 minutes away. So before following the Village Trail we made our way to the lakes.











The lakes originated as part of the ornamental gardens of Adderley House and may have been designed by Lancelot "Capability" Brown. It really was a lovely little nature reserve with well maintained paths.

Timothy certainly approved :)




Primroses and Daffodils in flower as you walk through the woodlands at the start of the walk.





The roof of the 1850 Ice House has been planted with wild flower seeds.

Wild Arum or Jack in the Pulpit leaves were everywhere.





We saw Robins, Blue Tits and Great Tits and on the lakes Mallard.





Marsh Marigold in flower





















*D









In a nearby field we spotted a herd of deer - I am not sure if they were wild or domesticated and living in parkland?


D got a much better photo than me!

*D


I think this is probably Adderley House



Dogs Mercury and



Wood Anemone


I am so grateful to the landlord for mentioning this lovely reserve as we would have missed it.

In the final post later this week I will show you some of the village.


*D Photos taken by my son with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera

Rest of the photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera


16 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Looks like a lovely place for a walk. As you might expect your spring is ahead of ours but we are really starting to have good signs now. It won't be long before the spring ephemerals carpet the woodlands and the buds on the trees start to pop. Bird migration is well underway, as I am sure it is in Britain too. Great time of the year!

The Quacks of Life said...

that looks a nice spot!! good find... hope you get into the church one day... it was open when I went :)

Hello Timothy she STILL hasn't set you up

CherryPie said...

The pub landlord knows a good place and I am glad he directed you to it :-)

Your photos of the area are wonderful :-)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

A lovely place to wander around great seeing the deer.

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I think I love early Spring flowers best of all, whether it is their emergence after the seemingly barren months of Winter, or whether it is the simplicity of the blooms, I don't know. Might even be something else? Glad to see young Timothy is still well wrapped up!

Ragged Robin said...

David M Gascoigne - thank you. I do hope you will soon see signs of Spring. Summer bird visitors are starting to arrive and I am looking out for the first Chiffchaff usually seen in the garden :)

The Quacks of Life - Thanks Pete. Only a small reserve but very lovely. I think church is normally open but a local lady in the churchyard mentioned there had been thefts over the last few days hence the closure! I could hear someone playing an organ inside but really didn't like to bang on the door!! Timothy says he is urging me to do something quickly re : Twitter. When mum's estate settled (if it ever is!!) will try and set up account then :)

Cherry Pie - Thank you and we were so glad he told us about it!

Margaret Birding for Pleasure - Thanks so much.

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you and yes I agree I like Spring flowers the best. I think you are right for me it is a combination of their emergence after Winter and their simplicity :)

Pam said...

Nice of the landlord to let you know about the reserve :) The ice house is great, I love how it blends in with the surroundings. It's good to see the sun!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you and yes if was kind of the landlord. I always like looking at ice houses and the planting of seeds on top is a lovely idea :)

Rosie said...

What a super nature reserve, it was kind of the landlord of the pub to mention it to you. I like the way the roof of the ice house has been planted with wildflowers. Great to see the deer too:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thank you. I do so wish I had somewhere like that near me. It would be great to have a reserve within walking distance.

Kevin and Seri said...

Lack of ear tags on the deer suggest a wild herd Caroline.

Ragged Robin said...

Kevin and Seri - Oh thanks so much for that information :) I will remember the tip.

Caroline Gill said...

What a beautiful post: I can see why Timothy is so happy and in his element! I particularly like the idea of the wildflowers over the ice house.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much. Timothy loved it there :) It really was a lovely little nature reserve. I really did like the village - so friendly (a place where I would love to live!). Sometimes you find a village (Weobley was another such place) where you feel "at home" :)

Amanda Peters said...

Another beautiful place and great photos, you got to see many wonderful things. It would be a nice place to live :)
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much - I knew the village looked interesting but it far exceeded my expectations! The nature reserve, pretty houses, three pubs and a great church - what more could you want :)