Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 5 September 2010

Packwood

I was passing close to Packwood House and Gardens last Thursday and, as it was sunny and dry, I made a detour to pay the gardens a brief visit. Famous for the colourful herbaceous borders and yew garden with "Sermon on the Mount", the gardens are really lovely.

One of several sundials at Packwood







The East Court marks today's entrance to the house.






A Small Tortoiseshell - for once a butterfly that was happy to pose for a photo!






The Carolean Garden
which contains herbaceous borders, rose beds and the sunken garden.

First, the sunken garden















The Yellow Border











Roses are planted in bays
















Unfortunately, as I was about to enter the raised terrace walk (my favourite part of the garden) and yew garden I was confronted by this sign. EEK!



Sadly, no photos of the raised terrace just a couple from the "outside".







Onwards to the Lakeside Meadow





A few photos of the Yew Garden again from the "outside"





There are some beautiful trees within the grounds - here an oak.



If you click on this picture and enlarge it you can just make out on the right Packwood's version of an open air sitting room



Views of the lake from the causeway





Not many birds around today - just a few mallard on the lake and a dunnock in the gardens

Another butterfly happy to pose - this time a brimstone





As I sat down on a bench in a quiet corner of the grounds (Packwood was packed today as usual) a dragonfly landed on the back of the seat. I thought initially it was a small red damselfly (must admit I am not very knowledgeable on dragon/damselflies) but looking at a field guide when I got home I think it is more likely to be a ruddy or common darter.










Plunge Pool built in 1680



This sundial is dated 1667 and is situated in the West Court - the original main entrance to the house









Unfortunately I didn't have time to visit the interior of the house. Hopefully, some photos from inside the property next time I go.

I must admit I love this area of Warwickshire and it always reminds me of the "Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady" and I always think of Edith Holden cycling around the lanes and painting her lovely pictures.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos of what looks like a very nice place to visit.

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks Dean. Glad you like the photos. The garden and grounds are lovely - the only disadvantage is that they are always packed with visitors!

The Quacks of Life said...

nice photos - it was on gardeners world last week. only ever been once must get back

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks Pete - glad you like photos. Thanks for telling me when it was on gardeners world - I will try and watch the programme on iplayer.

Jackie from Kingsbury said...

Jackie says what lovely photos and also the comments that you make in your blog - it makes you feel that you are actually there.

Cannot wait to see the other seasons in your blog.

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comments Jackie. Glad you enjoyed the photos and felt that you were actually there.