Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 27 September 2010

Lunar Underwing and Autumnal Flowers

I wasn't expecting many moths when I opened the moth trap on Saturday morning as the minimum overnight temperature had dropped to 2.3 degrees centigrade and it had started raining on Friday evening just after I had set up the trap.

Amongst the soaking wet egg boxes I found just two moths - a small square-spot and a lunar underwing. The latter is the first I have trapped this year and, although another lbj of the moth world, it does have pretty markings.



Summary of Moths Caught on Friday, 24th September, 2010

7.30 p.m. to dawn

Minimum temperature 2.3 degrees centigrade

Actinic 15w Skinner Trap


1 x Small Square-spot
1 x Lunar Underwing


Garden Update

The garden is starting to look very autumnal as more and more berries ripen and leaves are starting to change colour.

We have several iceplants scattered around the garden planted to attract butterflies although I must admit I have rarely seen a butterfly on them - any butterflies that appear at this time of the year seem to prefer the michaelmas daisies.



We have quite a few different varieties of fuschia scattered around the garden but this delicate pink one is my favourite.



As michaelmas daisies come into flower they always seem to herald the arrival of autumn.






I found a sycamore sapling showing symptoms of tar spot fungus on its leaves.



The ivy flowers are coming into bloom ready to attract late flying insects.



This seems a good year for berries both in the countryside and the garden - blackbirds have almost eaten the whole garden rowan berry crop and wood pigeons have started on these pyracantha berries.



Yesterday three young squirrels visited the garden amusing me again with their antics. We don't get many visits from cats these days thank goodness but yesterday and today I have seen one in the garden that is delighting in stalking the birds and even tried to catch one of the young grey squirrels which just managed to reach the whitebeam tree in time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos Caroline. The Blackbirds have also stripped both my rowans of their berries.

Ragged Robin said...

Glad you like the photos Dean. It doesn't seem to take long for the birds to strip the berries once they are ripe. I just wish they would leave a few until the waxwings arrive!