Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 4 September 2010

Chiffchaffs Visit Garden

I have kept a close watch on the garden over the last few weeks as we often get migrant birds passing through at this time of year. I noticed an unusual bird foraging amongst the shrubs this morning and grabbed the binoculars. I was pleased to see not just one but two chiffchaffs in the garden. They foraged for over 15 minutes and I was able to get into the garden and get good views of them.

I spent about twenty minutes this afternoon trying to get some photos of hoverflies and a speckled wood in the garden. Eventually, the speckled wood stopped still for long enough for me to get a couple of photos.









4 comments:

Rose Forever said...

Oh. It is so nice to see flowers being visited by these insects. It surely means that the flowers are healthy and well taken cared of. Nice photos! I think photography really does give a boost in a thing's beauty especially flowers! The flowers at the top are like butterflies themselves! Love it!

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comments. Glad you like the photos. The insects just love these yellow flowers - when its sunny there are lots of butterflies, bumble bees and hoverflies on them.

melanie tiger said...

What do you call that yellow flowers? I would like to plant like that in my garden so that butterflies and bees will come to my garden also. They say that if bees are in your garden it means that you have a clean air and a good ambiance. But sometimes there are many people who hate bees.

Ragged Robin said...

The yellow flowers are a type of coneflower - rudbeckia (one of the black-eyed susan varieties, I think). Any coneflower though will attract butterflies, bees, hoverflies etc. and they flower for months. Hope you manage to get some for your garden.