Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 8 December 2014

A Festive Looking Baddesley Clinton

I had a day out with a friend last week and we visited Baddesley Clinton which was looking very festive!

The scarecrow theme from the summer has been continued and now we have Father and Mrs Christmas type scarecrows







along with a few of the reindeer.
















The interior of the house had been decorated for a Victorian Christmas - I so wish I could show you more photos as it really was beautifully done. Usual problems with low light so most of the photos are a bit blurred - I don't think you will ever see a worse photo of a Christmas Tree but the tree itself had been so beautifully decorated it will at least give you an idea!












The ducks from the moat came to say hello - I think they were probably looking for food as they were much tamer than usual.




We had lunch in the restaurant - carrot and coriander soup and a piece of shortbread.






I loved these metalwork robins and pheasants for sale but they were a trifle expensive



so I contented myself with buying a half price hellebore. Hellebores never seem to do very well in our garden but I'll keep my fingers crossed with this one.



I'm sorry for the lack of natural history posts recently but I haven't used the moth trap for months and haven't had time to visit Marsh Lane or any other reserve recently. I am trying to find a few hours (although I suspect it may well have to wait until after Christmas) to read the new camera manual. Once I have mastered at least the basics I'll try and take some pictures of garden birds and find the time to go along to Marsh Lane.





11 comments:

John said...

Ooohhh that metal pheasant would go a treat in me garden.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

That was a lovely visit you made with your friend and it was great to see the place so festive.

Ragged Robin said...

John Wooldridge - Thanks John - it is rather splendid :)

Margaret Adamson - Thanks Margaret - glad you enjoyed :)

Amanda Peters said...

Great day out, I just love the wood reindeer, might have to get Mr P to make one.. Its hard to find time or something to blog about at the moment, I think we all feel the same.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks Amanda :) The reindeer were rather superb and, as you say, an idea to copy :) You are so right about finding the time etc. to blog! SO busy!!

Anonymous said...

It all looks very festive. I love the wooden reindeers- what a simple idea. No moth trap here recently either, although I'm toying with putting it out tonight and seeing what might brave the weather! x

Ragged Robin said...

Countryside Tales - Thank you :) Good luck if you do put the moth trap out. There are still around here (well there were until the latest cold snap!!) seen on lighted windows.

Em Parkinson said...

Loved those chequered beds RR - I wish I had the room to do that!

Ragged Robin said...

Em Parkinson - Thanks :) Yes, they are rather eyecatching - usually they are planted up with bulbs/annuals depending on the season and look very colourful!

Rohrerbot said...

Looks like a a very holiday set up:) But I think I love your carrot and coriander soup the most. Sounds delicious! I especially like the wreath on the door. Lovely design.

Ragged Robin said...

Chris Rohrer - Thanks Chris - yes the soup was lovely should have taken a photo!! :) The Christmas wreath on the door was lovely so glad you liked it :)