Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 20 April 2013

Garden Moths

GMS Week 8

Still not many moths around! Grand total of 2 Hebrew Characters in the moth trap this morning. Minimum temperature was down to 0.3 degrees centigrade.

I did find a new moth in the garage last week - New for Year and a New Species for the Garden

Amblyptilia acanthadactyla.

No photo - it was very lively and even, after being put in the fridge for a few hours, flew off as soon as I opened the pot. Imagine a plume moth similar to my favourite Emmelina mocondactyla but with dark markings on the wing and body.

First sighting of 2 Common Newts in the garden pond today and first garden butterfly of the year - a Peacock.

Mrs Blue Tit is making good progress with the nest and I think we may have the first egg next week :)

Primrose Weekend at St Patrick's Church, Salter Street, Earlswood

I visited St Patrick's this afternoon and, if you live near Solihull, Earlswood, it's well worth visiting the church tomorrow when the Primrose weekend continues between 10.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. There are tours of this beautiful interesting church and the churchyard is full of primroses and Spring Flowers.

I'll do a post on the visit in a few days.

Many thanks to Tony who advised me of the event.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just Googled for an image of that moth - it's very pretty.

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Its lovely - so miffed I couldn't get a photo :(

Rohrerbot said...

I'm glad your moths are coming back. You must have been so happy to find that moth. It's frustrating when you fall in love with moth, bird, etc and can't get a shot of it. There's always next time;)

Ragged Robin said...

Chris Rohrer - Thanks Chris - I always seem to get off to slow start with moths! Yes, it is frustrating not to get a photo but it happens a lot with wildlife :)

ShySongbird said...

Hi Caroline :-) Like Toffeeapple, I Googled the moth. It is very distinctive looking, I don't think I've ever seen one.

Good news about the Common Newts and of course the butterfly :-) It definitely sounds like good news about the Blue Tits too, I hope things go well.

I shall look forward to your churchyard visit. It was beautiful weather here yesterday but I was unable to get out and enjoy it as I'm not too well at the moment.

Ragged Robin said...

ShySongbird Hi Jan :) It is a pretty moth - pity all micros aren't so distinctive :)

I'll continue to blog about Blue Tits.

Ever so sorry you aren't well at the moment Jan - thinking of you and hope you might feel a bit better soon.

Anonymous said...

Well done getting a Amblyptilia acanthadactyla (Beautiful Plume), they seem to have been around in good numbers so far this spring :-)

Ragged Robin said...

David Turner - Many thanks - it was a pleasant surprise. Normally only find Emmelina monodactyla.

Wendy said...

How terrific to see a new moth. The blue tits are really making up for lost time, aren't they? Our birds are frantically building their nests.

Ragged Robin said...

Wendy - Thanks :) Actually think we may have Blue Tit egg this morning - hard to see as its almost completely covered with feathers! Earliest date yet (since we've had nest box camera. Will confirm on next blog posting :) Good luck with yours :)

Ragged Robin said...

ShySongbird - Hi Jan :) Just to let you know I have been looking at photos of Wild Daffodils on another blog - there is also a write up of an absolutely beautiful old church. The blog is Codlins and Cream2 (if you haven't visited it yourself). There should be a link on "My Blog List".