Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 16 May 2012

Blue Tit Nestlings

No further eggs have hatched so far. Mrs BT spends most of her time incubating the two nestlings and four remaining eggs.

I am a little concerned that the male blue tit does not appear to be bringing in much food - I hope its not the same individual as last year! I could never make up my mind whether the young all died last year (we think from lack of food) because the male was not a good provider or whether it was because there was a lack of suitable food.

A very poor picture of the two young nestlings taken with the camera from the tv screen. I always find it amazing that these tiny little pink, naked, blind babies will in a few weeks have grown into plump, feathered fledglings ready to fly off into the outside world!




Robin Update

The last time I saw the 2 young fledglings together was last Friday but one at least has survived hiding most of the time amongst the shrubs and occasionally being fed by one of the adults. Sometimes it will venture forth and feed itself on bird seed that has fallen from the feeders.

5 comments:

ShySongbird said...

They do look so vulnerable at this stage. I hope Mr Blue Tit does his duty!

Fingers crossed for the little Robin and that perhaps the other one will reappear.

Ragged Robin said...

ShySongbird - Many thanks for the good wishes re: the young birds. Sometimes I think the nestbox camera is a mixed blessing :)

ShySongbird said...

Hi Caroline, I hope you don't mind me commenting again but this reply and the one on the last post particularly resonated. I know it sounds pathetic but I don't have nest boxes in my garden for exactly the reason you allude to, I would find it just too worrying and blame myself if something went wrong. I was heartbroken some years ago when I got heavily involved watching Robins which had nested in the Ivy on the wall at the side of my dining room window and consequently had their nest and chicks destroyed by a neighbour's cat :-( Obviously birds still nest around the garden but I usually don't know exactly where.

Regarding your last reply. I don't really like to go anywhere with my camera, bins etc. without my husband...unfortunately you just never know nowadays!

Rohrerbot said...

I am also amazed at how quickly they grow up. Our owlets in a 3 week period grew to amazing size! It's also amazing how they survive when they are so vulnerable. Hope they make it:)

Ragged Robin said...

ShySongbird- Jan - please feel free to leave as many comments as you like :)

I was so sorry to hear of your horrible experience with the robin's nest. I know over the years I've been really upset with the predator (mainly magpie and cat) problems with nesting birds. Fascinating as the nestbox camera is it does make for anxious times - from great spotted woodie activity to lack of food going in). The first year we had it it was fine as there was a happy outcome but last year was awful seeing the young die (I did try and help by putting out mealworms) but I can emphathise with your thoughts that somehow you think it is your fault - even though common sense tells you it isn't.

There's a few places I will go on my own such as CBHG, Brandon Marsh, National Trust properties etc. but I do get fed up at times that there are so many places I could go too but just daren't risk it on my own. Or if I do go anyway I am constantly on edge!

Chris - Many thanks - I have a feeling these youngsters are going to need all the good wishes coming their way!