Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 19 March 2011

Moths, Super Moon and Goldcrest

With a minimum temperature of -2.1 degrees centigrade and one night off a full moon, I didn't expect to catch any moths in the trap last night! But when I checked it this morning there were 3! A Dotted Border and two Quakers - I will do a full report later when I've attempted a few photographs and identified which Quaker species.

Tonight the full moon will apppear 14% bigger and 30% brighter than usual as it is in the perigee stage of its elliptical orbit meaning it will come ~50,000 kilometres closer to Earth than when it is on the apogee side of the orbit.

Below is a photo of the Super "Perigee Moon" that I took last night from the garden.




There seems to be a lot of blossom appearing locally - photo of robin I took yesterday in amongst apple blossom in a neighbour's garden.



I saw my first buff-tailed bumble bee of the year in the garden last week on the 17th.

Yesterday I spotted a small bird foraging in one of the silver birches - I thought at first it was a redpoll or even a siskin but once I got a view through the binoculars it was a goldcrest - my first sighting this year and also an addition to the year garden bird list which now stands at 23 species. In fact, it has returned this morning in exactly the same birch tree. Below a very, very poor record shot of the bird - if you click on it to enlarge you might just be able to make out the gold crest!!

4 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Wonderful pics!! I love the blossoms and birds together!

Ragged Robin said...

Many thanks for your kind comment - the robin and blossoms picture isn't very sharp but I also loved the combination.

Many thanks to you too for your posting on the super moon phenomena - I would have missed it otherwise!

The Quacks of Life said...

shape gives the game away about the crest eh :D

Ragged Robin said...

LOL Pete :D. BTW I remembered your warnings about lack of IS when I saw this photo :D