Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 15 November 2010

Garden Update and (still) No Waxwings

I spent most of last Wednesday doing some jobs in the garden and planting up some pots for the winter and spring. Gosh, it was cold - I didn't thaw out 'till mid-evening. The flowers will provide a dash of colour in the winter and hopefully produce lots of blooms in the early spring providing nectar for any early emerging insects.

The tame robin kept me company enjoying insects and worms disturbed as I moved pots around. A grey heron flew low over the garden. We get occasional visits from herons - they usually land by the pond looking for fish and frogs. Not a lot else to report garden bird-wise just the usual species on the feeders although I did get a visit from a female chaffinch and I'm hoping chaffinch numbers will increase as winter progresses.









The Christmas tree,although still not looking 100%, is looking a lot healthier than this time last year when I thought I had lost it. My husband repotted it at the weekend.



I haven't put out the moth trap again either because the weather forecast has suggested a cold night or rain or I've been out in the evening. I have a feeling now that it won't get used again until next March unless we get a mild, dry spell.


I paid the Business Park a quick visit this morning - at least there were a few blackbirds feasting on the berries although not a fieldfare, redwing or waxwing in sight! There were the usual magpies and carrion crows around and highlight of the trip was a mute swan on the grass by one of the ornamental ponds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chaffinch is a rare visitor to my garden Caroline. A few fly over from time to time, but very few drop in to feed.

The Quacks of Life said...

they're about. some in derbyshire and nottingham

Ragged Robin said...

Dean - chaffinches have always been rare visitors until 2 winters ago when a flock of 4 or 5 ground fed all winter. They must have bred locally last year as they were coming for food all summer and then visited with juveniles. They continued to visit last winter but disappeared this summer so I am keeping my fingers crossed they might return this winter.

Pete - I think its going to be a good winter for waxwings though they seem very early this year. They are in Staffordshire and North Warwickshire too.