Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 6 October 2010

Blair's Shoulder Knot and Punk Rock

Despite a dry night forecast for Monday night, it had rained yet again at some stage and I opened the moth trap on Tuesday morning to find another load of soaking wet egg boxes. There was, however, a rather nice surprise in the form of not one but two Blair's Shoulder Knots. Although predominantly grey and black this is a really pretty moth which is a fairly recent coloniser. It was first found on the Isle of Wight in 1951by a Doctor Blair and has quickly moved north and is now fairly common in England. It is a new species for my garden. The rest of the moths consisted of four large yellow underwings, a shuttle-shaped dart and a very worn carpet species which flew off as I was trying to take a photo so remains unidentified!

I also caught a very pretty metallic micro moth (at least I think its a moth) - I don't normally bother too much with the micros but this particular one has intrigued me so I am still trying to identify it. Finally, I caught another of the dreaded lbj's (please see photo below). Its fairly worn and the only possibility I can think of is a red or yellow-line quaker but I am probably totally wrong. If anyone reading this has any idea what it may be any help would be greatly appreciated.
Edit - Many thanks to Dean for confirming that this is a yellow-line quaker. Yippee, another new species for my garden!

Summary of Moths Trapped Monday night 4th October

7.00 p.m. until dawn

Minimum temperature 11.1 degrees centigrade

Actinic 15w Skinner Trap

2 x Blair's Shoulder Knot New for Garden
1 x Shuttle-shaped Dart
4 x Large Yellow Underwing
1 x Yellow-Line Quaker New for Garden Edited

Blair's Shoulder-Knot





Mystery moth - Quaker sp ? Edit - Thanks to Dean from DDD (see link on the right) I can now confirm that this is a Yellow-line Quaker



My son and I went to Birmingham Rep last night to see a production called "Punk Rock". The Conservative Party Conference was being held next door at the ICC but, despite my worries there were no problems parking or any signs of traffic chaos due to closed roads although there were cordons everywhere and more police than you see at a local derby football match!

The play was excellent and very well acted by a young and talented cast. It is set in the sixth form of a Stockport Grammar School and concerns the difficulties faced by teenagers in their journey from adolescence to adulthood. Its a very tense play with an undercurrent of violence throughout and there is a very dramatic and surprising moment towards the end of the play and you could sense the shock felt by the audience.

Birmingham Rep closes for several years at the beginning of next year due to the building of a new library next door and renovations to the theatre itself. I shall miss going although they will be using other local theatres to put on productions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Caroline, your assumption was/is right. Yellow-line Quaker it is. Although there`s no sign of the yellow line, the other markings are bang on.

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks so much Dean for your help with the id. The lack of the yellow line was worrying me although the moth was quite worn. Thanks again.
Caroline