Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 23 July 2010

Timed Tetrad Visit - Mission Finally Accomplished

I was determined today to complete my BTO Atlas late breeding season timed tetrad visit. So I left camera and daughter (actually she refused to come this time!) at home, refused to get distracted by butterflies and ignored all public footpaths keeping to the lanes this time.

I managed to see 17 species and get some evidence of breeding activity. I didn't see anything particularly unusual but was glad to see a pair of skylarks again as I hadn't recorded them on previous visits to the tetrad. Buzzard, wren, house martin and swallow were also new species for this tetrad. I was also pleased to see a yellowhammer again - there seem to be a lot around this particular area.

I've now finished the four timed visits to this tetrad but it is such a lovely area to walk in (when not getting lost, of course) that I will probably visit again and any new species can be entered as roving records.

No comments: