Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 6 May 2019

A Wildflower walk along the River Blythe






Yesterday D and I went on one of our favourite walks along the River Blythe. I first discovered the walk several years ago when doing wild flower surveys for Plantlife and my 1 kilometre square covered Brueton Park area in Solihull and there was a public footpath that ran diagonally across the square. Brueton and Malvern Parks near Solihull Centre are lovely parks and contain a local nature reserve, a small Warwickshire Wildlife Trust Reserve as well as the walk we did.

When we arrived the car park was full and there were cars parked for miles along the side of the road - what I hadn't realised was that there was a music event in the park that day. Luckily we eventually found somewhere to park.


The River Blythe is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and is a good example of a lowland river on clay.





As soon as we got out of the car we spotted a pair of Blue Tits collecting caterpillars


*D





There were wild flowers everywhere

Garlic Mustard or Jack-by-the-Hedge


Daisies


Cow Parsley


White Dead Nettle


Dandelions



David and I stood for ages at this spot watching a Nuthatch and Grey Wagtail although neither of us could get a decent photo.



The park was busy and we could hear music in the distance but once you branch off away from the main park along the public footpath you see very few people.




We had smelt the Wild Garlic as soon as we left the car and there were masses of it in flower along the first part of the walk.








The path follows the River Blythe through woodland.


I love this time of year when all the tree foliage is so new and fresh.










Purple Toothwort is parasitic on the roots of various tree species such as Alder, Poplar and Willow. One of the wild flower books I have suggests it is introduced and has naturalised. When I first visited I only saw it growing on a log but this year it had spread nearby.



Yellow Archangel - one of my favourite flowers.

In this part of the wood many of the plants had variegated leaves which suggests they are an introduced variety of the plant which may have escaped from gardens. Further along the walk in another wood the leaves on plants are not variegated so I suspect they are the wild variety.



A few Bluebells started to appear.



Wild Garlic continues along the path for hundreds and hundreds of yards.




Red Campion





Speedwell - I saw a least two species on the walk but I hadn't taken a hand lens or magnifying glass so couldn't get them to species level.






Yellow Archangel



Violet



When you reach the end of the first area of woodland the path continues with the River Blythe on one side and a field stretching to the M42 in the distance on the other. In the past I have seen this field covered in Buttercups but not in recent years.







Edith Holden of "Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady" fame used to walk this stretch of the River Blythe and she mentions visiting it in May although I think she started at the other end of this section of the River i.e. Widney Lane rather than from the town centre side as we did. She writes of seeing in the meadows Marsh Marigolds and Lady's Smock and she gathered the Corn Crowfoot and Cross Wort Bedstraw.




The path then meanders through another area of woodland.

Timothy was rather enjoying himself and pleased to be out and about :)


Dandelions and



Buttercups



The second area of woodland has far more Bluebells






A graffiti tree!


Timothy again




D had a moth on his jacket - sorry rubbish photo it is very heavily cropped. I always struggled with micro moth id even when I was moth trapping more regularly than I do these days but I think this may be Cameraria ohridella ? which is common in parks and urban areas. It was first seen in Wimbledon, England in 2002 and since then has spread rapidly. Its larvae mine leaves of Chestnut trees causing brown blotches on the leaves and infestation can be so severe that trees become defoliated. Please correct me if my id is wrong.



One day I will walk as far as Widney Lane but we had dilly dallied quite a lot so we turned to retrace the route.





Hawthorn is coming into flower.

*D



*D

Mallard

*D


Two fungi D spotted - my fungi id is appalling but I think these may be Hoof Fungus and King Alfred's cakes. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

*D


*D


It was a very enjoyable walk and as D said we really should do it at other times of the year.

No butterflies were seen but I did see a few Bumble Bees - a Common Carder Queen on Bluebells and a White-tailed Bumble Bee on a dandelion.

Other flowers seen included Lesser Celandine and Marsh Marigold.


*D Photos taken by my son with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera

Rest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330 bridge camera

16 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

A great catalogue of observations. I have noticed wild garlic, and it's possible cousin {the one with the thin leaf} seem particularly prolific this year. I am once again starting to take a photographic record this year.

Treasure would like to know if Timothy tested the Buttercup, please?

Anonymous said...

What a delicious walk and thank you for sharing it.

My Bluebells are alomost over but the Wild Garlic is only just in flower and my Wallflowers are in full bloom and have been since February - they smell gorgeous.

Nice to see Timothy out and about.

Ragged Robin said...

Rustic Pumpkin - Thank you. Yes I agree wild garlic seems prolific here too this year. Glad to hear you have started keeping photographic records again :)
Timothy says to tell Treasure that he didn't this time but he has tested them from the garden and he loves butter :)

Toffeeapple - Thank you. Wallflowers do smell so very lovely - we have lost most of ours over the years sadly but I have bought the perennial version.

Timothy says thank you :)

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Wild garlic much more pungent than garlic mustard, I'm finding!

Ragged Robin said...

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thank you and yes you are right. Garlic Mustard's aroma is much more delicate - I can only smell it if I rub the leaves.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

A great walk to be sure. I was amazed at how many plants I could identify. Garlic mustard was introduced here by early European settlers, and is a serious invasive species in many areas, and almost impossible to eradicate.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

A wonderful walk and accompanied blow by blow descriptions and great photographs.

Bovey Belle said...

Lovely post. I always enjoy seeing what wild flowers other folk have on their patch. Well done with the Purple Toothwort. I think I remember seeing it once in the Channel Islands (on Sark) - well, I can remember it was parasitic, but it could have been Broomrape rather than Toothwort, come to think of it!!

Ragged Robin said...

David M Gascoigne - Thank you. Introduced species in a new environment cause so many problems all over the world :(

Margaret Birding for Pleasure - Thank you - so pleased you enjoyed.

Bovey Belle - Thank you - so pleased you enjoyed. That walk is the only place I have ever seen a Purple Toothwort - someone once gave me instructions on the approximate location of some local native Toothwort but must admit have never got round to trying to find it.

Pam said...

A lovely walk, everything has that lovely fresh green look at the moment doesn't it! The moth is a pretty little thing, we have Chestnuts by work that get brown blotches every year and conkers never form anymore though they do flower initially.

Rosie said...

What a lovely walk and a super post about it. You saw many wild flowers and I agree it is a lovely time of year when everything is fresh and sharp green. I've never seen or heard of purple toothwort so I've learned something new today. Thank you:)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much. Yes every walk you go on is lovely. So many tree species in Britain seem under threat from so many diseases :(

Rosie - Thanks so much. It is a joy to be out and about at this time of year. I had had heard of Toothwort but not the Purple variety until a few years ago when I first spotted it on the same walk.

Sharon said...

Hi - came across your blog via Pam's Place blog.
What a gorgeous walk, and so many different varieties of flowers!
We have a species of Speedwell growing in the field next to our backyard, such tiny delicate flowers.
Look forward to seeing more of your posts :)

Ragged Robin said...

Sharon Thanks so much for visiting and leaving such a lovely comment. I do love Speedwell flowers - so tiny but so pretty.

Amanda Peters said...

It's such a lovely place, beautiful photographs. So nice to see all the wild flowers.
Amanda XX

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thank you. I just wish the park was on my doorstep and not a 20 minute drive away!