Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 17 May 2019

A Trip to St Michael's Church and Baddesley Clinton


I haven't been able to go out as much as I would have liked over the last month or so as suddenly it has become "all systems go" re: selling my mother's house. The relative who had been living there finally moved out and I was able to finish going through items at the house to remove any personal items. We then had the house cleared and valued and it is now on the market. There are still a few obstacles to overcome but hopefully from my point of view the worst is over. Yesterday afternoon to take my mind off the house viewings taking place I "escaped" to Baddesley Clinton for a few hours.

First of all I walked up to the church of St Michael parts of which date back to the 13th century.


Parts of the churchyard have been cut but in other areas the grass has been left unmown and the wild flowers are flourishing. I spotted Bluebells, Red Campion, Lady's Smock, Meadow Buttercups, Cow Parsley, Dandelions, and Daisies.












I saw a Speckled Wood and several Orange Tips.

Not the best of photos and it is cropped but I couldn't get any closer.



Timothy enjoying his afternoon out.



St Michael's is in a lovely secluded spot surrounded by woods, hedgerows and fields. The Church was originally dedicated to St James and it is uncertain when the dedication changed to St Michael but it may have occurred following the 19th century restoration.



One of the most interesting people connected to Baddesley Clinton house and the church was Nicholas Brome (people who have been reading my blog posts for some time will recognise his story as I have told it several times). His father John Brome was Lord of the Manor of Baddesley Cliton and in 1468 John was murdered by a John Herthill and 3 years later Nicholas murdered John Herthill in revenge. Nicholas Brome inherited the manor of Baddesley Clinton from his father and in 1485 he discovered the parish priest flirting with his wife and "chockinge his wife under ye chinne" and in a temper he killed the priest. Nicholas did obtain a pardon from King Henry VII and the Pope and as penance he built the church tower at St Michael's. The church is also known as the The Church of Expiation. As an extra penance he asked to be buried vertically by the church entrance so people entering the church would walk on his head.

Nicholas Brome's daughter Constance married Edward Ferrers and it was through this marriage that Baddesley Clinton came into the hands of the Ferrers family and they remained at the house until 1939.


The font is of a simple Norman design.







This hatchment shows the arms of Edward Ferrers, Lord of Baddesley, who died in 1830 impalling those of his widow Harriet Anne Townshend the 2nd daughter and co-heir of George II, Marquis Townshend.




The second hatchment shows the arms of of another Edward Ferrers, Lord of Baddesley Clinton, who died in 1794 impalling those of his widow Hester nee Bird, daughter of Edward Champion Bird, a merchant of London.


This niche may one have held an aumbry (a small locked wall cabinet used to store items for the sacrament)






The 16th century East window.



Nicholas Brome kneeling in prayer


Sir Edward Ferrers and Lady Constance




Sir Edward's wife Constance with 5 of their 6 daughters and a shield with her arms.



Saint Catherine and her wheel



Sir Edwards Ferrers with his 3 sons - all kneeling and another heraldic shield.


This shield has 32 quarters showing alliances between the Ferrers family and many important families.


St George slaying the dragon.




This altar tomb contains the remains of Sir Edward Ferrers (1465 - 1535) and his wife Constance, daughter of Nicholas Brome.




I did keep an eye out for Spotted Flycatchers in the churchyard as they have been seen here in previous years but I had no success so I walked back down the path to the house.

















I walked around the lake which is surrounded by woodland and


saw my first Mallard ducklings of the year.

















The kitchen garden



The Walled Garden













I had a look round the second hand bookshop, plant sales and National Trust shop but for once I didn't make any purchases. Then into the tea room for a cherry muffin (a bit dry!) and a cup of hot chocolate before returning home.



16 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

i love Baddesley!! and still no twitter :(

Ragged Robin said...

The Quacks of Life - Thank you and yes it is rather special and I am lucky to have it fairly close :) Timothy says soon.............. maybe!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is good that at least part of the grounds have been left in a natural state. It seems very appropriate for a church, somehow.

Ragged Robin said...

David M Gascoigne - Thank you. More and more churchyards are now taking the view that areas should be left where wildlife can flourish. There is an organisation called Caring For God's Acre that really promote this idea. Of course, sadly there are still churchyards where the grass has been totally manicured in every area :(

Anonymous said...

A nice catch up. I enjoyed the church and all its stories. It’s good to see the churchyard flourishing wildlife wise.

Rosie said...

I'm glad that you and Timothy were able to have a lovely visit to Baddesley Clinton and the church. It would have been a soothing break from all the worries and problems that go with clearing and preparing a house for sale. I hope you can sell very soon. The church looks fascinating especially the windows and hatchments relating to the local families. It's just a lovely time of year for wildflowers and cultivated ones too - the wisteria at the house looks wonderful. A churchyard full of wildflowers and buzzing insect life is such a joy:)

Ragged Robin said...

Countryside Tales - Thank you - lovely to hear from you and hope you are all well. It is always good to find a churchyard friendly to wildlife :)

Rosie - Thank you - must admit I didn't realise how stressful and time consuming house selling was! Still the worst is hopefully over. One offer last week £10k below selling price but as the house was valued more than I thought I am happy with that and just hope it goes through ok.

I always find wandering round churchyards and gardens so relaxing and peaceful and it was good to get out where for a while you can forget everything :)

Amanda Peters said...

What a great place and wonderful place for wildlife. Been lovely looking round the church and hearing the stories
Great photos too.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much - it is a very lovely church and you would love the place :)

The Wessex Reiver said...

Shame you missed the spotted flycatcher, they'll probably be there but as I find frequently, I turn up and the wildlife disappears :-) Baddesley Clinton was somewhere I stumbled across a couple of years ago, lovely place and so it's been great seeing it again in your posting.

Pam said...

I'm glad to hear things are finally moving forward with your mum's house, it must be a relief.

It looks like a lovely place to escape to! Who can resist ducklings, it's always good to see the first ones of the year :)

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much Andrew. You are right about wildlife disappearing when you go to look for it - story of my life!

So glad the post brought back happy memories - the house and garden really are very special :)

Pam - Thanks so much. It has not been an easy few weeks so am feeling relieved have finally got to this stage with the house.

A kind girl tipped me off about the ducklings as I hadn't planned to walk round the lake.

Sharon said...

Looks like a lovely place to lose yourself in - I love that the churchyard has left some wild areas, so much better for the bees & butterflies :)

Ragged Robin said...

Sharon - Thank you - I really enjoy visiting churchyards that encourage wildlife :)

CherryPie said...

I hope the selling of your mother's house goes smoothly. I can empathise with you, we have to visit a solicitor soon with regards to selling my aunts house.

Baddesley Clinton is one of my favourite places to visit. I love the history of the house but I also could feel quite at home living there. I also like the walk around the lake :-)

Ragged Robin said...

CherryPie - Thank you. I wish you all the very best with selling your aunt's house - it is not an easy time!

The worst part for me dealing with mum's estate was the relative living there who did not want to move out! Thankfully things are now progressing and the worst is over.