Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 14 February 2019

Recent Reading and a Favourite Walk




Recent Reading

Since reading the Morville Hours and visiting the Dower House Gardens at Morville I have wanted a book on garden history and this National Trust publication was just what I desired. The book is so interesting and stuffed full of delightful photos of National Trust Gardens (all of which I now want to visit!).



If you like churches and stained glass the book below is an ideal introduction.



I always enjoy Robert MacFarlane's books and this was excellent. As it says on Amazon "Landmarks is about the power of language to shape our sense of place" and there is a glossary at the end of each chapter. The book covers works of many of my favourite authors such as J A Baker, R Deakin, Nan Shepherd and Richard Jefferies.





Another delightful Maisie Dobbs novel.



The Fens series just gets better and better. Once I start one of these books I find it impossible to put it down and I am just pleased I still have a few more in the series to read!



Priscilla Masters is a new author for me (I think I may have seen the name on Corners of My Mind blog?). It took me a few chapters to get into this book (although I often find this with a new series) but then I really enjoyed the story and have already uploaded the next book to my Kindle!





Favourite Walk

Last Saturday D and I went on one of our favourite short circular walks of about a mile around the hamlet of Shawbury in North Warwickshire.


Start of the walk










Approaching the tiny hamlet of Shawbury - interestingly I noticed a sign to a new housing development nearby which I checked out on the internet when I got home but sadly the properties are rather expensive to put it mildly! So I don't think I will be moving round here in the near future!


We spotted snowdrops on the grass verge.



I've shown you this cottage before - it has a rather quaint entrance through a hedge and past a wishing well.

















Nearly back at the car.






Birds sightings were few and far between - just Blue Tits, Blackbirds, Buzzard, Wood Pigeons and Corvids. Wild flowers in bloom included White Dead-Nettle and Periwinkle and there was a definite feel of Spring in the air.


*D

*D

D mentioned during the walk that in recent years we always seem to do this walk in Winter so hopefully I will go back more regularly this year and see how it changes through the seasons.


We stopped off at Coleshill and visited Books Revisited on the way home where D made 3 purchases but I managed to resist temptation for once! Then a hot chocolate in Costa - no cake as D is on a diet :(



I popped to the nurseries today to buy B a pitcher plant for Valentine's Day and had a quick look at the books. Unlike Saturday I did not resist temptation as this book was on offer at £5.99.






*D Photos taken by D with the Canon SX50HS bridge camera
Rest of photos taken by me with the Panasonic FZ330 Lumix bridge camera



13 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You know what Oscar Wilde said about temptation! But I have it on reliable authority (myself) that books don't count as temptation. They are as much the staff of life as bread and water! I cannot imagine a life without reading books, smelling books, touching books, being surrounded by books, loving books, wanting more books.................i am waiting for one to arrive in the mail! It is the kind of book I will want to dive right into, so when it arrives I will fluff the pillows on the sofa, pour myself a glass of sherry and get right into it! The sherry and the book!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

It has felt like a very springlike week so far!

Ragged Robin said...

David Gascoigne - Thank you and I totally agree with all you say :) I just love being surrounded by books and each and everyone is precious and loved. I don't think I shall ever stop wanting and buying more books! I hope your book arrives soon and you enjoy reading it plus the glass of sherry too of course :)

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thank you and yes this week has been lovely. I saw my first hoverfly of the year today on Wood Anemones :)

Ragged Robin said...

Simon Douglas Thompson - should add the Wind Flowers were at a plant nursery in pots not flowering in the wild!

Glasgow Birder said...

That looks like a beautiful walk, Caroline.

Pam said...

Completely agree with David on the books!! It would be nice to see your walk in different seasons :)

Ragged Robin said...

Dean Stables - Thanks Dean and it is lovely - we have been walking the short route for over 40 years.

Pam - Thank you - I thought you would agree about the books :)

Rosie said...

What a lovely walk. All your book choices look interesting. Yes it was/is me who has read Pricilla Masters's books as the DI Joanna Piercy books are set in this area of North Staffordshire Leek/Stoke and the Staffordshire Moorlands - another series that gets better with each book. Her other series about coroner Martha Gunn is set in Shrewsbury. I always enjoy reading books about places I know:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much and especial thanks as always as I get so many ideas for new authors and series to try from your books read list. It is good when you can read a series set in an area you know well. When I have finished the DI Joanna Piercy books I will check out the Martha Gunn books. Currently reading The Stranger Diaries which I am enjoying immensely :)

Midmarsh John said...

Thanks for showing the Stained Glass book. Have bought an electronic version now. Lovely illustrations and clear historical explanations of some of the processes used.

Ragged Robin said...

Midmarsh John - Thanks so much and so pleased you are enjoying the book. It taught me a lot and is a great introduction to the subject.

Anonymous said...

I agree, totally, with David Gascoigne about books!

That was a lovely walk you had, perhaps you will remember to go there in other seasons this year.

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Thanks so much :) Will try and do the walk again later in the year.