Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 24 January 2019

Recent Reading, Snowdrops, Ragged Robin and an Exhibition



Recent Reading


The George and Molly Palmer-Jones series is improving the more I read.



Stephens and Mephisto Mystery 2 - I enjoyed this far more than the first book in the series. I do love the way Elly Griffiths develops her characters. Quite dark and a clever ending - I had no idea who had done it!



I treated myself to the final Shetland book to read over Christmas. So sad that this appears to be the last in the series as I have enjoyed each and every book although I have to say I wasn't overkeen on the tv series - to me it was totally different to the books and I just ended up getting confused!




I love Dave Goulson's bee books - he has such an entertaining writing style and you learn a great deal.



This is a great introduction to folklore which I loved. My son is now reading it :) A great reference book.



I appreciate the next book is only for those who love churches especially those with Herefordshire Romanesque Sculpture but I found it brilliant and now have a long list of churches to visit!






Snowdrops

I went for a drive earlier this week to check out trees with berries in the hope that I might spot a Waxwing. There seems to be quite an influx into the country although I haven't seen any reports of sightings in Warwickshire so far. I didn't see any Waxwings but I stopped off at the church of St Mary and St Margaret to look for Snowdrops.



The churchyard is opposite the church and I



did find some Snowdrops almost in flower - my first this year.












A few of my Christmas presents


I was thrilled to be given by my daughter

this Ragged Robin hand-painted slate from the Lake District and



from my son a replica Green Man medieval tile.



I really fell in love with this handmade dragonfly tile when we went to an exhibition at Quarr Abbey on the Isle of Wight last summer so my son secretly bought me one :)





A few weeks ago I was in Solihull so popped into the Core Library to see the "Solihull Remembers 1914-1918 exhibition" which was really excellent, well researched and moving.

You can read more about the project aimed at finding out about the lives of Solihull men who died in the First World War here




There was also a very good smaller display on local suffragettes including the lady called Lettice Floyd who I have mentioned before as her grave is in the churchyard at Berkswell.




Mystery Flower - Some of you may recall the flower I spotted on the Meriden walk recently. As "Midmarsh John" suggested in his comment I think it is probably Ragwort. I noticed someone on Twitter in #WildflowerHour has seen one recently in flower. I have posted my photo on Twitter asking for help so if I get confirmation of the id I will let you all know.





All photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330


12 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

What really special presents from your family, RR! And I'm glad we now have an ID (almost certainly) for the yellow flower. I'm also delighted that you found your 1st snowdrops of 2019. I have seen a Camellia in flower, but not a Daffodil yet. I gather there have been Waxwing sightings here in Suffolk, but not very near us ... so far.

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much Caroline. I was surprised re: the snowdrops as I usually struggle to find any in January! I've only seen both Camellias and Daffodils in bud.

Hope Waxwings appear closer to you. I live in hope here! :)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Such thoughtful presents your family gave you. I saw my first good group of Snowdrops yesterday although I do have a couolle flowering in my own garden

Ragged Robin said...

Margaret Adamson - Thank you. My garden snowdrops are yet to develop even buds but do have wild primroses in flower.

Rosie said...

You had some lovely and thoughtful presents for Christmas each one special. Every one of the Stephens and Mephisto novels I've read has been better than the last one, it's a good series. It's a shame about the Shetland novels, I must look out for that last one. I think church yards are somehow a perfect setting for snowdrops:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thanks so much :) Glad to read your comment about the Stephens and Mephisto books and thank you again for inspiring me to read them from your book list :) Last Shetland book is good :)

I always seem to look for Snowdrops in churchyards rather than elsewhere although I think some houses e.g. National Trust have good displays. I was reading recently about a good display at Easton Walled Gardens in Lincolnshire and trying to work how far away it is!

Midmarsh John said...

What lovely, thoughtful Christmas presents.

Ragged Robin said...

Midmarsh John - Thank you - all total surprises too :)

Pam said...

My neighbours has had flowering snowdrops since just after Christmas, his always flower earliest, mine are only just showing shoots! The slate is just beautiful in fact all the gifts are :)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - thank you - it is interesting how they vary. Normally locally I don't see them in flower until February - seem early this year? Mine in garden only have shoots too!!!

Anonymous said...

I admire your Christmas gifts, very thoughtful they are too.

As for books, I have just discovered Ann Cleeves - better late than never as the saying goes. I have started with the Vera books and have a Shetland one ready and waiting on my Kindle.

As for flowers - only some Wallfowers which have been in bloom since before December - they smell delicious too.

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Thank you so much. As you can imagine I was over the moon with them.

So pleased you have discovered Ann Cleeves - I really enjoyed both the Shetland Vera books although as mentioned I didn't enjoy the tv series/dvds and gave up with both! The George and Mildred books I think may be some of her earlier work and although good do not in my view have the finesse of her later novels.

I love the smell of Wallflowers :)