Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Sunday 21 October 2018

A Trip to the Theatre, Recent Reading and Green Tomato Chutney






Last weekend D and I went along to Birmingham Repertory Theatre to see The Wipers Times. There are so many road closures in Birmingham City Centre at the moment that reaching the car park by the theatre involved about a 3 mile detour! We arrived with an hour or so to spare so walked to Pizza Express in Brindley Place by the canals for lunch which was our usual and delicious Veneziana Pizza (pine nuts, red onion, capers, black olives, sultanas, mozarella and tomatoes) with polenta chips. Sorry no photos - Brindley Place is photogenic but I didn't fancy taking the camera into the theatre afterwards. The play was very good and at times very funny - it is based on a true story from the First World War when Officers discovered a printing press and went on to produce a newspaper to boost troop morale.




Recent Reading


This little book on Gargoyles which belongs to my son is very informative. I have since ordered a few more in the series secondhand.



This is the seventh book in the Lakeland Mystery series and I have enjoyed every single one. Sadly, Martin Edwards does not appear to have written any more.



When I was a child and teenager I really enjoyed reading the Zoo Quest series of books by David Attenborough which I used to borrow from the library. The books narrated his travels in the 1950's collecting animals for London Zoo and filming his adventures for the BBC's Zoo Quest series. I've often thought of re-reading these books so was rather pleased to find "Adventures of a Young Naturalist" which includes the first three books from the original series i.e. "Zoo Quest to Guyana", "Zoo Quest for a Dragon" and "Zoo Quest in Paraguay". Although thankfully we now live in different times especially with regard to collecting animals from the wild these books make interesting and entertaining reading. Hopefully, David Attenborough will bring out another book including the rest of the Zoo Quests.



I spotted this book on special offer in Sainsbury's and something about it just appealed to me. The story is such an original idea (I have never read anything like it before). It is unusual, thought provoking, unforgettable, moving and funny and tackles the problems of loneliness and the heroine's attempt to re-connect with people. It is one of those books you remember long after you have read it.



Kate Ellis is a new author for me and this is the first in a series of books about DS Wesley Peterson. I really enjoyed this book and have already bought the kindle edition of the next in the series.



I first came across this local author when I read her book on Warwickshire Villages. This book again was good - tales of history, myths and legends, mysteries, ghosts and murders in Warwickshire.



Compared to the Ruth Galloway books by the same author, it took me a while to get into this book but once I had I thoroughly enjoyed this book - the first in the Stephens and Mephisto mysteries.


I've wanted to read this book for some time as I knew Ferguson's Gang had saved Newtown Hall on the Isle of Wight so when I spotted it in our favourite charity second-hand bookshop "Books Revisited" I just had to buy it. The book tells the story of the Gang (a group of mysterious, eccentric and, in the mid 20th century anonymous, women) who raised large sums of money for the National Trust and donated this in strange and unusual ways. The women hid behind pseudonyms such as Bill Stickers, Red Biddy, The Bludy Beershop and Sister Agatha and held meetings accompanied by rituals they had created themselves. The identities of the women in the Gang are now known and this book tells the story of their lives and fund raising activities. A really good and well researched book.







Chutney

The tomato plant D brought back from the Isle of Wight is still producing tomatoes. So we used the green ones to make Green Tomato Chutney - sadly, we didn't have enough for the recipe so I made the quantity up with ripe tomatoes. The recipe I have used for nearly 40 years! comes from the Times Calendar Cookbook by Katie Stewart.









15 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I will be checking my mail box daily for the delicious supply of chutney I know you are about to send me! As you might imagine, I came back from Australia with a few additions to my library. I think my suitcase was 2kg heavier on the return journey!

Ragged Robin said...

David Gascoigne - Thank you and a jar is on its way :) I did notice you had been to Australia - sorry for not yet commenting on your posts - life to do with my mum's estate has been hectic and problematic recently but I will read soon.

lol! re the heavier suitcase. When we go out for the day and or on holiday we always return with locally produced produce! :)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

There is noting better than home made chutney. Have. a wonderful week ahead

Rosie said...

Your jars of tomato chutney look wonderful it's a good way to use up all those last fruits. All your reading looks interesting. I've read a few Martin Edwards books set in the Lake District and all Kate Ellis's Wesley Peterson novels and her Joe Plantagenet ones too. I enjoy both Elly Griffiths sets of novels especially the Norfolk ones. I wonder what her new stand alone novel will be about? I haven't come across Elinor Oliphant, I may look for it in the library.I'm glad you enjoyed The Wipers Times, I saw the television production a couple of years ago. Your choice of pizza sounds delicious:)

Ragged Robin said...

Margaret Adamson- Thank you - the chutney should be ready in time for Christmas :)

Rosie - Thank you. Apart from the house reeking of vinegar I do enjoy making chutneys :) When I have finished the Wesley Peterson series I will check out the Joe Plantagenet ones too! It will be interesting to see what happens in the next Ruth Galloway book (due out in February I think). In a moment of madness I seem to remember pre-ordering the new Elly Griffiths stand alone novel for the Kindle! I do thank you for giving me the idea of trying out these new to me authors. I really enjoyed the Elinor book (think it may be the author's first novel) - it was just so totally different.

My son saw the tv production of the Wipers Times too and loved it (he is a journalist and mad keen on history so right up his street!!). He didn't like Press though recently on tv and only watched one episode - I enjoyed it though! Can highly recommend the pizza - in fact I keep saying I will try making a home-made version :)

Amanda Peters said...

Great selection of books, they all look good. I am drawn to a good front cover , which is properly not the best way to select a book. So wish I could settle enough to get back into reading.
Have made chutneys in the past, yours looks lovely. Very special eating home made foods.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thank you. I often buy a book based on the cover so you are not alone! In fact, I would imagine many people do too!:) Hope you can get back into reading soon. I like making chutneys and jams although these days don't make as many as I used to.

Pam said...

How did I not know about the David Attenborough books! Another for me list! I love how colourful the tomatoes look!

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you. I just spotted the DA book when in Waterstones and I hadn't heard the Zoo Quest stories had been re-published either!

Anonymous said...

I am still catching up! Re the David Attenborough books, my OH and I recently watched a TV programme presented by him, about his early years as a naturalist; he showed a lot of his early stuff including some about Elsa the Lioness. I think you might be able to find it on iPlayer somewhere. We found it interesting particularly as we remembered the original programmes.

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Thanks so much - so sorry for being late publishing but have been away for a few days and now will have to do catching up here too :)

Thanks so much for information re: the DA tv programme - I will certainly check i-player as I would love to see it.

Caroline Gill said...

Well, RR, you have been busy recently! The chutney looks amazing, and all the better for having your Isle of Wight tomatoes. The 'Eleanor Oliphant' book looks well worth a read. I'm off to Aldeburgh today (in glorious sunshine, though pretty chilly air and it will feel even colder on the east coast) for the Poetry Festival, so I expect I may be tempted to make a purchase or two of the book variety!

Ragged Robin said...

Caroline Gill - Thanks so much Caroline. I've been known to grow tomatoes just to get green ones for that chutney! :)

The Eleanor Oliphant book certainly stays in your mind after reading it - such a different book. I do hope you have a lovely time at The Poetry Festival and some books are purchased :)

Bovey Belle said...

Some great book suggestions there. I read the other "new" Elly Griffiths novel, with the Stephens and Mephisto characters (Smoke & Mirrors) and found it quite delightful but a TOTAL side-step from Norfolk! I see, looking at her Amazon page, there are a few of hers of not read yet and there are more Stephens and Mephisto ones too.

I remember reading the David Attenburgh books when I was a teenager and loved them. I've not heard of Martin Edwards or Kate Ellis but I have just discovered I have a Kindle subscription (to my horror, now I have discovered how to zap it, I have never used it! I must have pressed a "wrong key". But first I will get a few books on there to rake out the cost over the last few months).

Ragged Robin said...

Bovey Belle - Thank you. Am really enjoying the Elly Griffiths books - can't wait for the new Ruth Galloway book next year!

I loved the DA books when young too :) Martin Edwards Lake District books are good I found - not read any of his other books yet though and this was my first Kate Ellis.

When buying something on Amazon recently I accidentally managed to sign up for Amazon Prime - took me ages to cancel it. So easy to do and you have to very careful on that website for that reason. Have noticed something you can subscribe too with Kindle but I have a feeling you can only keep so many books i.e. not many otherwise they "disappear" and I do like to keep my Kindle books. But I may be wrong as have never looked into it that closely.