Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 22 June 2018

Packwood House








Last Saturday I met up with The Quacks of Life
at Packwood House to look round the gardens. It was really lovely to finally meet up after all these years.


First of all a scone in the tea-room and very tasty it was too.


Then off to the Garden - first of all the Sunken Garden.








Then a walk around the rest of the Carolean Walled Garden with its rose bays and herbaceous borders.











Packwood House dates back to Tudor times and was re-modelled by Graham Baron Ash during the 1920's and 1930's. He gave the house and 113 acres to the National Trust in 1941 in memory of his parents.














The Raised Terrace Walk










The Yew Garden is said to represent the Sermon on the Mount - some of the yews date back to the 1650's.




The Mount








Timothy has made new friends - here he is with Mr Quacks, Clarence and Reise Pferdich and Zuppi. The travelling ponies are on a visit to Mr Quacks at the moment.



And so onto the lake



One of the many sundials at Packwood.





Packwood has a lovely wild flower meadow.
























Photos taken by me with the Panasonic Lumix FZ330

16 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Lovely place - scabious on the go is it? My wild garden area has scabious.

Niki said...

Beautiful place. What are those first purple flowers called? I'd like to have some for my garden if I can find some.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

WOW What a fabulous garden and I must say Timothy is looking realy well in his rainbow jumper. Have a great weekend.

Rosie said...

Lovely photos of your visit, both house and gardens look wonderful at this time of year. I bet Timothy enjoyed meeting new friends and how lovely for you to meet up with a blogging friend. I hope the scone was tasty:)

Ragged Robin said...

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thank you - yes wildlife mini meadow here in the garden has scabious.

Niki - Thank you. Did you mean the pinky/purpley flowers in the sunken garden (the photo after the white lilies? I think they are thrift/sea pink. Or possibly chives which have similar flowers. Let me know please if it is another photo.

Margaret Adamson - Thank you. The garden at Packwood is particularly lovely. Have a good weekend too.

Rosie - Thank you. I might try and return to Packwood in about a month when the raised terrace will be at its best :) I've been reading Quacks of Life for years so it was lovely to finally meet. Scone was delicious. I think I may have scone in future rather than cake when I go out :)

The Quacks of Life said...

it was lovely to FINALLY meet you ! Quacks and co say hi!

Ragged Robin said...

Pete Duxon - Thanks so much Pete. Just sorry I couldn't find you a copy of that book! Timothy sends greetings to Quacks and Co :)

Pam said...

Another beautiful house, I love seeing the gardens :)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thanks so much. The gardens at Packwood are particularly good :)

Niki said...

Yes, those were the ones I meant. Thank you. :-)

Ragged Robin said...

Niki - I have looked at the photo again and I am sure it is Sea Thrift/Sea Pink - Armeria maritima.

Amanda Peters said...

Packwood House is a lovely place, the gardens are great.
love the old brick walls, the old door and the red roses.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much. I do love the gardens at Packwood. That old door is a real favourite of mine :)

Anonymous said...

Here I am again, trying to catch up...

I enjoyed your visit to Packwood and am pleased to know that Pete is still quacking away; I somehow lost track of his blog but have now remedied that, though I don't know when I shall get around to reading him again.

Yours, meltingly...

CherryPie said...

How lovely that you were able to meet up with a longstanding blogging friend :-)

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple and Pam - apologies for late publication and response - we have been away on the Isle of Wight.

Toffeeapple - Thanks so much - glad you enjoyed Packwood and have re-discovered Pete :)

Too hot still here too!!!

CherryPie - Thank you so much - it was good to meet Pete after so many years.