Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 2 June 2018

Mini Wildflower Meadow, Garden Flowers, Moths and Recent Reading




The mini wildflower meadow in the garden is now coming into full bloom with Red Campion, Buttercups, Vetch, Ribwort Plantain, Common Sorrel and Yellow Rattle. Sadly, no Ox-eye Daisies or Poppies this year but Yellow Rattle is spreading and as it does so the dreaded couch grass is slowly coming more under control. Bees love this area of the garden and young frogs use it to hide away.














We grow a few herbs such as mint, sage, thyme, bay and marjoram. When they flower they are really popular with both bees and butterflies.

Sage is flowering at the moment.



Ants on Peony buds.





This blue species of cranesbill geranium is also popular with bees.


I really am not sure what the flower below is - I call it "Strawberries and Cream" but I suspect it may also be a type of geranium. B bought some plants years ago from his mother's garden and it flourishes here flowering all summer. If anyone can confirm the species I would love to know.



Valerian always reminds me of coastal verges in Cornwall and the Isle of Wight. It is another plant popular with pollinators. I planted it in the hope of attracting a Hummingbird Hawkmoth and we have seen just one - a real "red letter" day.



Yellow Flag by the pond along



with Foxgloves which thankfully self seed everywhere although sadly I have lost the few white ones I had.




Red and Orange azaleas are past their best but the one and only Rhododendron is still flowering



Clematis and


Climbing Hydrangea


Some bay plants B has grown from cuttings - it has taken years but they are slowly getting taller!




A few day-flying moths have been seen in the garden




and I was thrilled to see a pair of Cinnabar Moths on Ragwort (sorry the photo above is awfully blurred!). Last year we had caterpillars so am hoping for the same in a few weeks.

Mint Moth (Pyrausta aurata)



Recent Reading


"Where Poppies Blow" is a very moving and poignant (and at times very sad) account of the role nature played for soldiers in the First World War. It is not a book to rush through - it took me several months to read but it is highly recommended. I took "O" and "A" level history at school but, unlike my own children who studied both World Wars, we never studied events in the twentieth century - this book taught me so much about life in the trenches and the capacity of nature to heal.




I enjoyed the second George and Molly Palmer-Jones book far more than the first. For me it is not up to the standard of the Shetland and Vera Stanhope books (I suspect this series may have been written much earlier in her career?) but I will read the rest in the series.


I saw this book mentioned on Codlins and Creamz Blog (so thank you BB). I hadn't read any Mary Stewart novels for years and years (in fact, sadly, her novels were taken to the charity bookshop when I had a fiction clear out) and I really enjoyed this. It is the first book in an Arthurian Saga and tells the story of Merlin's early years.



This book by Joy Ellis was just un-put-down-able - I raced through it - thanks to Rosie from "Corners of my Mind" blog for introducing me to this and many other authors.



This is another book I couldn't put down. Sadly, I think I only have one left to read in this series.


I've mentioned "Hidden Warwickshire" before - a superb book with so much information on local Warwickshire villages (history, churches, ghosts, myths etc). Unfortunately, I think it is now out of print as are some of her other books which I have now managed to purchase second hand.



7 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

I love your wildflower meadow and will be curious to learn more about Yellow Rattle suppressing the omnipresent Couch Grass. Interestingly, many of my poppies have disappeared too, but as so many other plants seem to be having a bumper year, maybe it's the poppy's turn to rest a while? Isn't that Mint Moth spectacular?
I read The Crystal Cave many years ago, so long now I have forgotten it! I think I must read Where Poppies Blow. It sounds a good book.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Mint moths are beautiful! I've only ever seen one. Love wild meadows

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The meadow looks absolutely gorgeous. That kind of diversity supports so much wildlife. And speaking of books I have an English work that might interest you, or perhaps you already have it. It is called "A Year in the Meadow" by Benjamin Perkins (1995), Bloomsbury Books. It is a month by month account of an area near the Essex/Suffolk boundary and I found it very good reading indeed. Furthermore, it is enchantingly illustrated. As far as I can recall I got it in a remainder shop in 2002 in a small town called Uttoxeter in Staffordshire during a visit there. Now that I have pulled it down off the shelf I think I have to read it again! Actually, at the same time, I believe, I acquired a book called "The Greatest Glass House" about The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew - also fascinating, informative and profusely illustrated in a very lovely way.
Enjoy what's left of the weekend!

Ragged Robin said...

Deborah O'Brien - Thank you so much. Couch Grass was becoming a real problem - we've had the wildflower meadow for years. Tried digging it over and re-seeding to no avail! Well, it worked for a year or two then grass returned. We planted Yellow Rattle as plugs 3 or 4 years ago and it is definitely spreading year by year and does seem to be slowly suppressing couch grass. We've found when re-seeding that area in the past the first year after you get loads of poppies, then it seems to be the turn of Ox-eye daisies and then Campion as the year's pass. St John's Wort also seems to have disappeared this year - a pain as insects love its nectar.

Mint moths are lovely - like little fairies:)

Where Poppies Blow is definitely worth reading although it can be sad in places and uplifting in others. The chapter on pests (lice, rats etc) is a bit gruesome so be warned!

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thank you - whenever you see herbs growing look for Mint Moths :)

David Gascoigne. Thank you. The Wildflower mini meadow is probably my favourite part of the garden - behind is an area of mini woodland with native trees and shrubs which is all left to go a bit wild and as you say it supports diversity :)

Thank you so much for mentioning those two books - I haven't got or read either. The first one "A Year in the Meadow" sounds really interesting and one I would love to own. I will check out both books and find out if and where they might be bought.

Enjoy the remainder of your weekend too.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The two books are probably out of print now, but it’s always worthwhile checking second hand bookstores, garage sales, church rummage sales etc. I can happily lose myself in a second hand bookstore for an hour or two!

Rosie said...

How lovely to have a mini wildflower meadow, I like the yellow rattle and hope it works on helping reduce the couch grass. Valerian and climbing hydrangea are both doing well here too, in fact I've just included them in my new post. Glad you are still enjoying The Fens series I've just bought the latest Fire on the Fens for my Kindle and I've got The Frozen Shroud on loan as an e-book from the library. Can't wait to read both - I have a Peter Robinson book to finish reading first. I read Meadowland by John Lewis-Stemple and enjoyed his writing so may give Where Poppies Blow as try later on,thanks for the recommendation:)

Ragged Robin said...

David Gascoigne - Thank you. I spend a lot of time in second hand bookshops too! Although I know the one I visit most often hasn't got that book as I would have bought it! :) Found it on Amazon - £2.49 in very good used condition and price includes postage and packing so well pleased thank you.

Rosie -Thank you. Wildflower meadow started as a hay meadow with wild flowers but grass out competed flowers so cleared it all and started again just with a wild flower mix but couch grass took over! Hence the Yellow Rattle! I am so glad I persevered past the first chapter of the first Fens book because I am just loving the series!! :) You will enjoy the Frozen Shroud :) Where Poppies Blow is "different" to Meadowland although just as good in a different way. I would definitely recommend his "The Running Hare" if you haven't read it - in style it is more like Meadowland. But I love all his books.