Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Saturday 5 May 2018

A few days in North Wales - Part 2: Aberdyfi




After an excellent breakfast at the bed and breakfast - the views below were taken from the bedroom window - we discussed where to go on our last day.






We decided against Barmouth as we had been before and decided to drive south to Aberdyfi (Aberdovey) as none of us had visited previously.



Aberdyfi was very pretty with pastel coloured houses on the seafront.

A shame about the parked cars! - always difficult to get photos in many towns and villages without including cars!













The church looked open but I didn't get chance to go inside - B and E do not share my love of churches!





Herring Gull




We had a look round a few shops - there was an excellent art gallery.




I loved this range of items decorated with bees but the shop was shut.




Timothy enjoying a cup of coffee :)


Tame Jackdaws were hovering trying to hoover up cake crumbs.






Before we left we went for a walk on the beach - it was busier than the one at Fairbourne.





We came across half a dozen dead jellyfish which had been stranded.





This Herring Gull was very tame and not bothered by my presence - he only moved once when a dog came too close.









It was about 1.00 when we got back to the car and B was keen to start the journey home :( I always think if you are somewhere for only two days you should make the most of your second day! In the end he agreed to stop off somewhere on the way home. Unfortunately the Dyfi Ospreys which I would have loved to see were on the other side of the estuary and too far so we ended up stopping off at the Corris Craft Centre.

View of the estuary from the car. There is a story behind the very naff nodding dog. Years ago when E was little she bought a tiny noddy dog from Claire's Accessories which has been on the dashboard of every car we have had. Sadly, when I was carjacked a few years back the car was never recovered which meant the loss of the little dog. E was quite upset at the time especially as we have never found another place that sells one. B finally found this one (unfortunately many times bigger than the old one!!) on Amazon and bought it as a birthday surprise.



Corris Craft Centre




6 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

When you next visit Wales I would highly recommend a visit to the Isle of Anglesey. I have visited there a couple of times and it is a wonderful place to see Red-billed Choigh and Northern Raven among other species. And at the harbour where the ferry leaves for Ireland I have had great success finding Purple Sandpiper. And....it is beautiful.

Ragged Robin said...

David Gascoigne Thank you especially for the Anglesey recommendation.We have thought of going several times (I did have a holiday there years ago when I was little with my parents and I went on a geography field trip with the school when I was taking "A" levels). From memory it is lovely - we will get there one day. Thanks too for the birding tips - much appreciated :)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Aberdyfi reminds me of Aberaeron, further south, with the pretty, colourful waterfront houses. So pleased you had good weather. The bee pottery looks like Sophie Allport to me, so worth a Google if you are interested. Gulls are definitely getting tamer, and far too familiar too!

Rosie said...

I remember visiting Aberdovey I thought we were never going to get there as it seemed such a long drive down the estuary! It looks as if the sun was shining for your visit. We always like to make the most of the journey home and take in a visit somewhere on the way back from wherever we have been. Such a shame about your car and the lost nodding dog, the new one looks like a good replacement and the view from the car windscreen is wonderful:)

Ragged Robin said...

Deborah O'Brien - Thank you - Aberaeron sounds lovely - I've never visited that area of Wales although my son went for a wedding there and said it was very scenic. Thanks so much for the Sophie Allport tip will google!

Rosie - Thank you - yes it did seem a long drive! I would have stayed in Wales until tea-time but I think B was worried about rush hour traffic on the dreaded M6! Luckily we just missed it and had no traffic problems. The car incident was a real pain especially as we had only had the car 3 months!

Caroline Gill said...

Aberdyfi looks a beautiful spot. I have only skirted round it on our travels to date. And yes, I would endorse the thought of Anglesey, though it is at the furthest point in terms of travel! My highlights there were Holyhead Island, the old priory at Penmon and the ancient remains such as cromlech, standing stone and hut circles. Beaumaris Castle is good, too, of course... but I haven't been for perhaps 20 years. If you ever decide to go to the Aberaeron area, you would love Strata Florida Abbey, I think: it is an intimate ruin, nestling in the hills above the Red Bog of Tregaron. We could (just about) do day-trips to the Aberaeron area when we lived in Swansea.