Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Wednesday 1 November 2017

Bits and Pieces




A few books I have recently read...........




This is a delightful book celebrating wildlife on a local patch (in this case the village of Mark in the Somerset Levels) as the year progresses.




I've been watching the BBC Drama on the Gunpowder Plot (apart from a few of the torture and executive scenes when I have fled the room!!) and this prompted me to read this booklet I bought from Coughton Court a few years back.





Matthew Oates book has become one of my favourite reads of all time - it is now out in paperback. If you enjoyed his book entitled "In Pursuit of Butterflies" - you will love this volume immensely. It explores the author's wanderings throughout England during Spring and Summer. It includes quotes from various poets past and present and explores the meaning of place. As it says on the back of the book " It is part prose-poem, part musing, part deep-end natural history - and all is blended with modern ecological and conservation perspectives. ....... It is like no other book"

Highly recommended.




I spotted this book on Rosie's "Corners of my Mind" blog - thank you Rosie. A moving read and especially enjoyable to those who love books and bookshops. Loveday is a very likeable character.



I enjoyed the Cipher Garden more than the first in the series. It has the added bonus that this series is set in the Lake District and this story is centred on the Sawrey area which is where we stay when we visit.



I loved these Ruth Galloway books - the series just gets better and better. I shall be bereft when I am up to date which won't be long now as I only have The Chalk Pit to read!







Now the nights are drawing in I have started to knit again. This lovely little owl came from a knitting pattern in a recent edition of "Landscape" magazine.






My son spotted this Fly Agaric growing on the grass verge under a Silver Birch Tree about 100 yards from home.


*D

*D






Last Friday we went on a Ghost Tour at the National Trust property of Baddesley Clinton which looked very atmospheric lit by candlelight. I learnt a lot more about the ghosts that haunt this property. A very spooky evening out!


*D


*D


*D


*D



Pumpkins carved by D for Hallowe'en




A box of treats while we watched the Great British Bake Off Final.


*D



Pumpkin Wizard's Hat pasties for tea with

*D


a Chocolate and Orange Spider Web Cake.





Finally, I promised some photos of a smiling Green Man - these were taken at Castle Bromwich Heritage Festival a few years ago.






*D - Photos taken by D with the Canon bridge camera SX50

15 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

The execution scenes in Gunpowder have been very grim...but then, that's how it was!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the books, I can see me having to spend more money!

That second pumpkin is especially clever.

Ragged Robin said...

Simon Douglas Thompson - Thanks for the comment Simon. Yes, appreciate they are only showing what really happened - it is just that I have a far too vivid imagination already and those special effects they use these days are too much for me.

Toffeeapple - Thank you. I will tell son about your comment on the pumpkin as he wasn't sure if it had worked :)

OH worked out the other day how much I had spent on kindle books this year via Amazon and he was not impressed!!! :( I need to use my library ticket more!! :) There again I don't spend money on hair, make-up or clothes so I justify it to myself that way! :)

Pam said...

Beyond Spring is on my list of books to read! The pumpkin treat box looks fun and the pumpkins to, I love to see how people have carved them :)

Ragged Robin said...

Pam - Thank you - yes it is interesting to see all the different pumpkin designs :) You will really enjoy Beyond Spring - it is one of those books I could read again and again!

Rosie said...

What a lovely post, full of interesting things. Glad you enjoyed Lost for Words. I read it over a couple of days and I e-mailed a friend I know who seems to like the same kind of books as me, he bought it for his kindle and finished it in one evening. Your nature book choices look fascinating too. Your knitted owls are wonderful and your Halloween treats very tasty. Baddesley Clinton looks very spooky and atmospheric. I'm watching Gunpowder too and I did notice that the house they used as Baddesley Clinton wasn't the same building. It was great to recognise Haddon Hall in the mix of buldings. We put a lit, carved pumpkin near the front door and had loads of trick or treaters but it came in at eight so we could watch the Bake off final:)

Ragged Robin said...

Rosie - Thank you so much and many thanks again for providing me with reading inspiration :)

A shame they didn't use the real Baddesley Clinton in the tv drama! - The gunpowder plot and priest-holes there were mentioned during the Ghost Tour.

We didn't get any trick or treaters here at all this year - so have bags of lollies and mini chocolate treats to eat! :)

Coquetnaturelover said...

What an interesting post and, with Christmas coming, some great ideas for books for my family to buy me! I wish I'd spent Haloween at yours! Such tasty bakes and wonderful pumpkins :)

Ragged Robin said...

Coquetnaturelover - Thank you so much for such a lovely comment. It is always good to have books for Christmas :)

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Now, you see, I'd buy that first book just based on the cover!

Looks like you had a great time on Hallowe'en with lots of treats. I hope Prue's indiscretion of her premature announcement did not mar GBBO for you?

I've never seen a real Fly Agaric, but long to find one someday.

I wonder if I have that knitting pattern? It looks familiar, and you've done a lovely job!

Ragged Robin said...

Deborah RusticPumpkin - Thank you. I am sure we are not the only people who buy books based on the cover! :)

I was very careful on social media GBBO Day as my son had warned me about her premature tweet!!! Luckily I was able to watch the programme without knowing the winner - hope it was the same for you if you watch it. Have to admit I still miss Mary Berry although I did enjoy this series :)

Good luck with the Fly Agaric search :)

The knitting pattern was in the Sept/Oct issue of Landscape Magazine. It was very easy - the hardest part was finding some buttons and when I did spot some of the large ones in Hobbycraft they only had one pack :( Hope they get more as I fancy making another owl.

Amanda Peters said...

Sorry it's taken so long to comment, what a great selection of books. The TV is on but we don't watch much although we did watch Blue planet the other night. Owl looks great, I too have returned to feeling craft but have got the cleaning bug as well, inside more so notice the mess ! OH says I get like this just before Christmas, his Nan had to have clean nets up at the window for guests coming round.

Love the photo of the Fly Agaric, proper looking mushroom. The event at looks good too but to scary for me, and I just love the photos of the Green man.
Amanda xx

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thanks so much - and no need to apologise whatsoever :) I've been enjoying Blue Planet but didn't watch the end of The Gunpowder Plot - it was too gruesome!

I am looking forward to getting our new bedroom furniture so I can put some of the clutter accumulating everywhere out of sight! I always get the urge to clean and tidy just before we go on holiday for some reason!!

The Baddesley Clinton ghost event wasn't too scarey - the one last year at Aston Hall was (people presumably planted being dragged away and people jumping out etc. etc.!!)

Anonymous said...

I've recorded Gunpowder and am looking forward to seeing it. Some great book recommendations there.

Ragged Robin said...

Countryside Tales - Thank you. Gunpowder is very good but as mentioned in comments above I am a bit squeamish so parts were a bit too graphic for me!!