Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 19 May 2014

Fourth Birthday Today





Its hard to believe that I've been blogging for four years today - where does the time go?

I would just like to thank everyone who has visited my blog whether as a one-off visitor as a result of a google search on a particularly topic, an occasional or regular visitor. A special thank you to all those that follow me or who leave comments. Each and every comment is read and greatly appreciated.

As a matter of interest I've just checked the five most popular posts over the last four years.

1. Spring in the Garden - April 2011

2. Local Birding, Rare Victorian Pillar Box - November 2013

3. Twitching a Lifer - November 2013 - I suspect this is due to the post title!

4. Fossils Part 2: Orthoceras and Belemnites - November 2010 - no doubt due to Google Searches!!

5. Tour of the Hall December 2010



I thought to mark the fourth birthday I'd republish a few of my favourite butterfly and moth photos taken over the last 4 years


Small Tortoiseshell




Orange Tip



Speckled Wood



Red Admiral



Comma


Peacock


Brimstone


Gatekeeper or Hedge Brown


Small Copper




There are 59 species of butterfly which breed in Britain and over 2,500 moth specie have been recorded in the British Isles.

To show the diversity of moths which can be just as beautiful as butterflies I've randomly selected a few species of moth photographed over 4 years.



Treble Bar



Swallow-tailed Moth


Lime Hawk-moth


Buff Tip - what superb camouflage :)


Foxglove Pug


Swallow Prominent


Peppered Moth - often used to demonstrate natural selection in action


Elephant Hawk-moth


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations :-)

Yours is one of my favourite blogs and it is always a pleasure to read what you have been up to.

Leanne said...

I've just found your blog through Countryside Tales. Loved your butterfly photographs. I am a recent butterfly fanatic, and try (with limited success) to take pictures of them whenever I can I have a Speckled Wood that has taken to guarding my garden. Me and my son watch him everyday. Fascinating!
Leanne xx

Em Parkinson said...

Congratulations! Beautiful choice of photos. I think my favourites are the Orange Tips - gorgeous.

Ragged Robin said...

Countryside Tales - Thanks so much for your lovely comment :)

Leanne Paxton - Welcome and thanks so much for leaving a comment :) I am so glad you liked the photos and have become so interested in butterflies. Persevere with the photos - you will get there in the end :)

Em Parkinson - Thanks so much - glad you liked the photos. Orange Tip is one of my favourite butterflies - such a symbol of Spring :)

Amanda Peters said...

Happy 4th birthday, been following you for a while, first comment, lovely photos of both Moths and Butterflies.
Amanda xx

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI RR Congratulation on 4 years blogging. although I rally know nothing about Moths I do love to see the ones you trap and photograph. The butterflies in this post are superb. I would love you to drop the'robot'thing. Any chance?

Tricia Ryder said...

Happy Bloggy Birthday, Caroline... great post to mark the occasion :)

Ragged Robin said...

Amanda Peters - Thank you so much for leaving a comment and welcome :)

I am so glad you enjoyed the butterflies and moths :)

Margaret Adamson. Many thanks :) I am glad you enjoyed. I'll try taking over the "robot" but if the spam returns I am afraid I will have to put it back on. Will see how it goes.

Tricia Ryder - Many thanks Tricia. I am so pleased you enjoyed the post :)

The Wessex Reiver said...

Happy 4th Birthday Caroline

Anonymous said...

A beautiful post Caroline and happy blogging birthday :-) Like CT said earlier your blog is one of my favourites and I always enjoy catching up with you :-)

Ragged Robin said...

The Wessex Reiver - Thanks so much Andrew :)

David Turner - Thanks very much David - that is very kind and greatly appreciated :)

The Quacks of Life said...

Happy Blogday

Marielle Collins said...

Happy Birthday! :) Beautiful butterfly pictures...
Marielle

Ragged Robin said...

Pete Duxon - Many thanks Pete :)

Marielle Collins - Thank you so much :)

Rohrerbot said...

Congrats!!! You know what? I think you and I both began around the same time. I think this was my 4th year as well. We both began with plants and spun off into different directions. I think you've done an amazing job keeping with the plants. Me not so much. Blogging is a lot of fun from an artistic point of view in not only the photography but the writing as well. And look at the people we've been able to meet! Thank you for sharing your world and Happy belated Blogiversary!

Ragged Robin said...

Chris Rohrer - Thanks so much Chris. Yes, I believe you're right about beginning to blog about the same time and I think we found each other's blogs quite quickly :)

I struggle on with plants - I've always known most of the common species but the more you discover the more you realise how much you have to learn. I only skim the surface!!

Yes, I enjoy blogging too although I have had moments when I've wondered about carrying on mainly because of the time element. But as you say you meet so many lovely people from all around the world :) Thanks again for your lovely comment and here's to our next 4 years :)

Anonymous said...

Many congratulations on a milestone post. I am so far behind in my blog reading that I have been neglecting to comment on a lot of my favourites, yours included.

Lovely to see your pictures again, here is to the next milestone!

Ragged Robin said...

Toffeeapple - Thanks so much for your kind comment - lovely to hear from you again :)

I know what you mean about keeping up with blog posts - it becomes very difficult time-wise especially when leaving comments. Hope you are ok and thanks again :)Take care.