A record of wildlife in my garden and various trips to the Warwickshire countryside and occasionally further afield.
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."
From "Auguries of Innocence"
by William Blake
Friday, 26 October 2012
Moth and Badger Update
The number of moths caught is now really dropping with lower night time temperatures
Saturday, 20th October
Minimum Temperature 2.4 degrees centigrade
6.00 p.m. until dawn
15w Actinic Skinner Trap
Lunar Underwing (Omphaloscelis lunosa) x 1
There were 2 other moths which I was unable to identify as both escaped before I could pot them, one an Epirrita sp (there are 4 species and its difficult anyway to distinguish between them) and a possible Spruce Carpet (I only noticed this as I was putting the moth trap away and it flew off before I could get a pot. I really must check my trap initially more carefully!!!).
Wednesday, 24th October
Minimum Temperature 11.4 degrees centigrade
15w Actinic Skinner Trap
6.00 - 10.30 p.m.
Lesser Yellow Underwing (Noctua comes) x 1
Light Brown Apple Moth (Epiphyas postvittana)
Sorry for lack of italics am still unable insert links or get Blogger to use italics, bold or underline!!!
The Garden Moth Scheme finishes on 2nd November so I will continue to put the trap out for a few more weeks. Still hoping for the "Holy Grail" - a Merveille du Jour!
I promised in one of my comments to keep Chris from "Las Aventuras" - see link on the right - up to date with the badger situation in England.
Earlier this week the Environment Secretary announced a postponement of the badger cull in England until next summer because farmers had run out of time to shoot badgers - the animals spend far more time in their setts during cold weather. It has to be remembered though that this is just a temporary reprieve for badgers as the Government is still committed to the badger culling policy.
The e-petition against the badger cull had attracted over 100,000 signatures (it now stands at 163,865 signatures) which led to a parliamentary debate on the issue yesterday. MP's voted against the culling policy by 147 votes to 28 calling instead for improved testing of cattle and biosecurity and vaccination. However, this vote is not legally binding as the motion was tabled by backbenchers.
Hopefully, in the intervening months between now and next summer the Government can be persuaded to drop this ill conceived, unscientific, inhumane, uneconomic idea. Whilst I have every sympathy for farmers who have to slaughter cattle due to bTB, culling badgers is not the answer to the problem. The main cause of bTB is cattle to cattle transmission. If the cull were to go ahead it would at best lead to a 16% reduction in 9 years leaving 84% of the problem. It has to be remembered that the methodology to be used i.e. free shooting of badgers has never been tried before and may not even result in a 16% reduction.
Welcome to my blog. I have been interested in natural history from an early age and we have tried to create a garden attractive to wildlife. I also enjoy reading, photography, collecting fossils, visiting historic buildings and gardens and supporting Aston Villa. Please feel free to leave a comment and, if you would like to email me, my email address is ciraggedrobinsATgmail.com - remember to replace AT with @. Thank you for visiting.