Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 7 June 2012

Moths and Garden Flowers

The cold weather and what seems like never-ending rain means I haven't bothered putting the moth trap out much recently. Monday night was dry so I did try a trapping session then.

Minimum overnight temperature was only 7.3 degrees centigrade and there were only four macro moths in the trap. I am a trifle concerned that I never find any moths on the outside of the trap and suspect the robin has already paid a visit by the time I get up and get round to emptying the trap.

Another Common Swift was the first to be potted followed by this lovely little moth - a Silver Y - its easy to see how this species got its name!






I also found a Scalloped Hazel - again a lovely moth so here's another photo!



Last of all this bedraggled and very worn species of Carpet. Despite his appearance he was very lively hence the only photograph I managed to take was in the pot. I find carpets, like pugs, hard to identify especially when they are as ragged as this one but I think it is probably a Garden Carpet. Sorry the photo is under the summary! I've managed to get the post out of order whilst typing!

Edit - Many thanks to Dean from DDD and Ornithom from Ripley Moths for their id help. The Carpet would appear to be Spruce Carpet (with a possibility of Grey Pine - Ornithom mentions how difficult they are to tell apart under "Comments" even when not worn!)

Summary of Moths Trapped - Monday, 4th June

Minimum temperature 7.3 degrees centigrade

15w Actinic Skinner Trap

1728 Garden Carpet ?? (Xanthorhoe fluctuata) x 1 would be New for Year

Edit - Probable Spruce (or possible Grey Pine Carpet) see comments below! Thanks again to Dean and Ornithom.

0017 Common Swift (Hepialus luminus) x 1

2441 Silver Y (Autographa gamma) x 1 New for Year

1920 Scalloped Hazel (Odontopera bidentata) x 1







On one of the dry days last week I took a few photos of the garden.

Valerian is in flower - this plant is a brilliant magnet for insects and it always reminds me of Cornish hedgerows and coastlands - it seems to grow everywhere in Cornwall





Yellow Flag is starting to come into flower in the bog garden at the side of the pond



The orange Azalea is now in bloom



The difference between the older established part of the wildflower meadow and the newly seeded part is now very obvious (I hope I haven't lost all the Ox-eye Daisies and St John's Wort!)





Red Campion, Buttercups, Ribwort Plantain, Burnet and Vetch are now flowering

Ribwort Plantain



Burnet



White Lilac is flowering well this year - much better than the purple variety in our garden

7 comments:

kirstallcreatures said...

The Scalloped Hazel certainly is an attractive moth. I do like to see valerian in flower, its a prolific seeder,we have a rogue plant that has taken up residence through a crack in the paving of our drive. I intend to collect some seed this year.
Ribwort Plantain is a much under-rated plant, to my mind it always adds interest to a wildflower area.

Ornithom said...

Hi Mrs Robin,

Some lovely photos as always!

Your battered moth is either a Grey Pine or a Spruce Carpet. They are tricky to tell apart when in full winged status, but I suspect this will be even more difficult!

Kind regards

Steve T

Anonymous said...

Caroline, your Carpet could well be a Spruce.

Ragged Robin said...

Kirstallcreatures - Valerian is rather lovely - I eventually got a plant from a friend and bought a couple more from a nursery and as you say they are prolific seeders -mine are spreading already. Good luck with your seed collecting.

Ornithom -Many thanks - glad you like the photos and special thanks for the id help :) I've had a look at the Waring "bible" and Hants Moths Flying tonight site and I can see what you mean about telling them apart! But I will edit the blog. Thanks again.

All the best - Caroline

Dean - Many thanks as always for your id help :) Its much appreciated. Its a pity the moth is so worn as it would be a new garden "Tick"!

ShySongbird said...

The Scalloped Hazel is rather attractive. We had quite a large moth in the dining room the other night which insisted on flying around our legs and the dog's nose! I was so busy getting it out into the garden before the dog decided to 'investigate' it that I forgot all about a photo.

Very pretty photos of the colourful Valerian and the Azalea.

The wild flower meadow is looking pretty too and I should think it will be perfect next year.

It was a white Lilac I lost in the gales :-(

Ragged Robin said...

ShySongbird - thanks Jan. I'm ever so sorry to hear about your white lilac - its horrible losing favourite plants/shrubs/trees. I sometimes replace some things I've lost but its not so easy with a more mature specimen.

Hope you manage a moth photo if one comes in the house again - I bet your dog would have been fascinated by it!

Did you see Springwatch on (I think) Thursday or it may have been Wednesday when they had a bug lady on (the one fascinated by dung beetles). She also showed the viewers some of metallic jewel-like Gastrophysa viridula that you so kindly identified for me! What a coincidence!

Ragged Robin said...

ShySongbird - thanks Jan. I'm ever so sorry to hear about your white lilac - its horrible losing favourite plants/shrubs/trees. I sometimes replace some things I've lost but its not so easy with a more mature specimen.

Hope you manage a moth photo if one comes in the house again - I bet your dog would have been fascinated by it!

Did you see Springwatch on (I think) Thursday or it may have been Wednesday when they had a bug lady on (the one fascinated by dung beetles). She also showed the viewers some of metallic jewel-like Gastrophysa viridula that you so kindly identified for me! What a coincidence!