Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Monday 9 January 2012

Millennium Wood



I stopped off at Millennium Wood for a brief walk again this morning. Initially there were just the usual carrion crows, magpies, wood pigeons and blackbirds but then high up in a silver birch, next to a couple of lesser redpolls, I saw a male and female bullfinch (another first for the year). I remembered that last time I saw this species here a pair were seen together and on the few occasions I have seen them in the garden there is often a male and a female. I've done a bit of research and it appears from ringing evidence (according to my ancient set of Living Countryside magazines) that some bullfinches do pair for life which is a rather nice thought. No sign today of redwings but it looks as though most of the berries on the site have been eaten!

A few days ago I saw my first garden mammal of the year - a grey squirrel and bird-wise things are getting more interesting. There were a couple of redwings in the garden yesterday - I've now replenished the supply of apples on the lawn in the hope that they might return! - and one of the lesser redpolls was drinking from the pond today.

I tried out my new macro lens yesterday taking a few photos of some daffodils bought at the supermarket. Hopefully, the photos will improve as I practise and experiment more and I will be more careful of the background next time!

2 comments:

Rob said...

Lovely daff! Millennium Wood looks like a pleasant spot - I just read your photo of the information board. We also have a Merstone on the IoW.

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks Rob.

Millennium Wood isn't very big but its a nice place for a short walk and the more I visit the more the bird-life seems to improve.

Have a vague memory of Merstone on IofW - think we have driven through when we've stopped at Chale and have been travelling to Arreton.