Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 15 September 2011

Warbler, Grebe and Plum Chutney!

My daughter Emily wanted to go for a pub lunch today and happily she agreed to go to The Plough. The Plough just happens to be situated just over the road from Shustoke Reservoir where a Black-necked Grebe (which would be a local tick for me) had been seen early evening yesterday! Sadly, my history of "dipping" on most unusual bird visitors at this location continued today and the only grebes I could see were great crested and little. Although to be fair I only did a quick scan of the reservoir from the car park and the bird could well have moved on as I haven't seen any reports of further sightings today.

A quick drive round the lanes on the way there produced a lot of pheasants and red-legged partridges in the hedgerows and a kestrel hunting over a field of stubble.

Had our usual lunch in the Plough of "cheesy chips" with the addition this time of a plate of cheesy garlic bread. Healthy not!

Yesterday watched another willow warbler passing through on migration catching insects in the garden.

Yesterday afternoon I indulged in another favourite autumn pastime and made some chutney.

Nice simple recipe with not too many ingredients




The ingredients were soon in the pan and cooking



I haven't tried this recipe before but the chutney looks a lovely colour. The recipe only made one jar but if its any good I'll make double the amount next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a beautiful day out and about....I love fall days. Lots of beautiful things to do and oh so much comfort food to be had:) Chris Las Aventuras

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks Chris. Yes it was a lovely day. I love the autumn. Can never decide whether spring or autumn is my favourite season! But there is something special about this time of year.