Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Thursday 2 June 2011

Low Moth Catch

I put out the moth trap again on Tuesday night hoping for a few new species. This was not to be, however, as I ended up with

Small Magpie x 1

and yet more

Heart and Dart x 9

I checked all the Heart and Darts more carefully this time but there was not a Heart and Club or Turnip Moth to be seen!

The temperature dropped to 5.7 degrees centigrade which may explain the poorer catch compared to last Friday.

I saw 3 recently fledged blue tits on the feeding station yesterday so its nice to know at least one brood has fledged successfully locally.

I visited Brandon Marsh this afternoon and I'll do a post when I've sorted out the photos - several new butterfly, bird and damselfly ticks for the year.

Back at home the yellow flags are starting to come into the flower in the bog garden - several weeks earlier than last year. This plant is sometimes called Queen of the Marshes and, having seen dozens (if not hundreds) of the plants in flower over the marshes at Brandon today, I can see why.




We have several different types of cranesbill geranium in the garden and my favourite (I love the blue of this flower) is just starting to bloom

No comments: