Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Tuesday 17 May 2011

A Few New Moths and Blue Tit Update

Sunday night's moth trapping session brought a couple of new species for this year and one possible garden tick. There were a couple of micros - a Light Brown Apple moth and the very pretty Small Magpie Moth which looks more like a macro and what I think is probaby a Middle-barred Minor. One other moth, which I thought initially was a carpet is proving yet another challenge for my "slow to improve" id skills so I am still working on that one!

Small Magpie



Possible Middle-barred Minor? Edit Many thanks to Stewart from The Orthosia Enthusiast and From the Notebook (see links on the right) for confirming my id



"Mystery Moth" Edit - Many thanks to Stewart for suggesting Seraphim which looks possible from the markings. 2nd Edit - Have decided to go with Seraphim following further research. Thanks to Dean from DDD too.



Summary of Moths Trapped Sunday, 15th May

Minimum temperature 11.0 degrees centigrade

9.15 p.m. until dawn

15w Actinic Skinner Trap

1 x Small Magpie (New for Year)
6 x Heart and Dart
1 x Light Brown Apple Moth (New for Year)
1 x Mottled Pug
1 x Middle-barred Minor? (would be New for Year)Edit Can now confirm NFY

plus the unidentified moth above Edit - possible Seraphim thanks Stewart
2nd Edit 1 x Seraphim NFY and New for Garden

Blue Tit Update

There are still just the four young - it doesn't look now as though the remaining 2 eggs will hatch. We managed to put the wire netting around the nestbox on Saturday morning and, whilst the great spotted woodpecker, has returned and tried to approach the box, the netting seems to be preventing him gaining access. The mother is still spending a lot of time brooding the four nestlings.

The wren is still feeding young and the young blackbird is still around sometimes feeding itself now on food that drops from the feeders. There are plenty of young house sparrows being fed by their parents. In fact, the birds are getting through far more bird food than they did in the winter!

I saw a strange looking feral pigeon on the lawn on Sunday and noticed it had two bright pink plastic rings on one of its legs. I guess it is a racing pigeon that has gone AWOL - it certainly seemed to be getting very "friendly" with one of the feral pigeons and the pair were still around yesterday.

4 comments:

Stewart said...

Hi Ragged, Your moth is definately Midlle Barred and I think your mystery is Seraphim though I have not seen one myself. Best Google it...

Ragged Robin said...

Hi Stewart - thanks so much for your help (especially as the photos were not very good) and confirmation of Middle-barred.

I wondered if the moth was Seraphim - I can't believe how long I have spent trying to id this moth (about 2 hours+)! Now someone else thinks it could be Seraphim I'll have another look at the Townsend and Waring and Manley books and re-go through some of the moth id websites that I've got book marked - it seems to be one of those moths that has many variations in markings!

Thanks again. All the best Caroline

Stewart said...

No probs Caroline ( thats better than 'Ragged'! :) )
There doesnt seem to be any other contenders than Seraphim. Nice moth, one I'll be looking out for...

Ragged Robin said...

I hope you get to see one soon Stewart. A very pretty moth (though not as nice as your elephant hawkmoth :D). My only worry is that its habitat preference is broad-leafed woodland and the nearest is about a mile from here but according to one website they do occasionally "wander".

Thanks for solving the mystery - the more time I spent trying to identify it, the more determined I was to find out what species it was!
Caroline (feeling less "ragged" now!!)