Waxwing

Waxwing
"To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour."

From "Auguries of Innocence"

by William Blake

Friday 28 January 2011

Waxwing Wonders

I went to visit my mom this morning and, as usual, did a quick drive round the local area checking out various locations with berry bearing trees. For the umpeenth time since last autumn I turned into Eastbourne Avenue, Birmingham, to be greeted by the sight of 6 pinky coloured, starling-sized birds, perched in a tree.

I couldn't believe my eyes I'd finally managed to find my own waxwings. Woohoo!!!

Luck was certainly on my side today as I had my camera and bins with me as I was planning a trip to Brandon Marsh after visiting my mother.

I always find it hard to believe how confiding and tame these birds are and I was able to park right opposite the tree where they were feeding and snap away with the camera. Despite forgetting to set a higher ISO rating and not having the tripod with me (I balanced the camera on the car window ledge) I was quite pleased with some of the photos - see below. Sorry there are rather a lot!!

The trip to Brandon Marsh was abandoned as I couldn't wait to get home to upload the photos



































What a great week - two lots of waxwings, Andy Murray through to the Australian Open Final and Villa back to winning ways!

4 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

lovely!! persistence pays off!!

Ragged Robin said...

They really are the most gorgeous of birds, Pete. Currently at number one of my list of favourite birds :D

Tricia Ryder said...

Stunning pictures Caroline.... well done - and well worth the wait.

Their colours are wonderful and to get the red berries and blue sky... wow!

Ragged Robin said...

Thanks Tricia. It was definitely worth the wait:D I was so lucky being in the right place at the right time, actually having the camera with me and the weather conditions being just right with clear blue skies. It was one of those magical experiences I shall never forget!